Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Traveling around Naoshima - bus, bike, foot? 2024/3/5 23:15
We (70s yo couple) are planning a trip next November to Japan and looking to stay in Takamatsu for several nights. We want to tour Naoshima for a day. I donft think if Ifll feel comfortable renting an e-bike. How manageable is it to use public transportation or a regular bike and walking? What would you prioritize seeing since I doubt wefll be able to see everything.

Thanks! This will be our second trip!
by paulesue  

Re: Traveling around Naoshima - bus, bike, foot? 2024/3/6 07:28
Transport
- walking only isnft really an option. The island is small but not THAT small that you could walk from the ferry to the major attractions
- cycling : is a good option however the bikes are mainly Japanese mamacharis. Heavy bikes with few gears and very low seats and the island is somewhat hilly. If that sounds okay. Then cycling is probably the easiest way to get around as you donft need to wait for the bus an md you can go to non-art related areas of the island
-e-bike: not sure why you exclude it. Itfs very similar to a normal bike just a bit more expensive and gives you a bit of an extra push uphill. But these arenft fast by itself.
- bus is explained here https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5476.html

My highlight was the Lee Ufan museum but when I went the Chichu museum was closed.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling around Naoshima - bus, bike, foot? 2024/3/6 08:37
I have done the day trip from Takamatsu several times and it is easier than from (say) Okayama.
My recommendation is bus to the Art House area and then walk around there followed by bus to the Benesse sites, and then more walking.
It is possible to walk everywhere with enough time, but not very practical.
My other tip would be to take food - getting something for lunch can be a challenge. My last visit we ate at the Benesse House Museum Cafe - it was ok (limited menu).
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling around Naoshima - bus, bike, foot? 2024/3/6 08:38
oops, other comment, have 100 yen coins for the bus.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling around Naoshima - bus, bike, foot? 2024/3/6 21:27
Thank you both! This is very helpful.

Ifm mostly concerned that I might get hurt while riding the e-bike, but perhaps thatfs not really an issue. From what you describe, the regular bikes are not an option so Ifll definitely consider an e-bike.
by paulesue rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling around Naoshima - bus, bike, foot? 2024/3/6 22:20
Thank you both! This is very helpful.

Ifm mostly concerned that I might get hurt while riding the e-bike, but perhaps thatfs not really an issue. From what you describe, the regular bikes are not an option so Ifll definitely consider an e-bike.
by paulesue rate this post as useful

Re: Traveling around Naoshima - bus, bike, foot? 2024/3/6 22:45
If you are used to ride city bikes there is nothing to worry about the e-bike. If you are a (semi) regular cyclist a normal bike will do though.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread