Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/12 16:51
Hello!

I will be travelling with a total of 7 family members consisting of both elderly (below 60yo) and toddler (3yo) this May 2024.

Would like to seek opinion from the experienced members here if it is more cost effective/convenient to purchase single tickets or getting multiple Jrail / Regional passes. I am also open to recommendations to improve my itinerary.

Below is our itinerary and place of accommodation for reference. TIA!

Nagoya - 1 night (14-15 May 2024)
Tokyo - 5nights (15-17 May 2024; 17-20 May 2024)
Kyoto - 4nights (20-24 May 2024)
Nagoya - 1night (24-25 May 2024)

14 May 2024 (Tues) Nagoya
Nagoya Port
Odaka Ryokuchi
Nabana No Sato

15-May-2024 to 17 May 2024 (Wed to Fri) Tokyo
DisneySea
DisneyLand
DisneySea

17 May 2024 (Fri) Tokyo
Senso-Ji Temple – Night 24hrs.

18 May 2024 (Sat) Tokyo
Tsukiji Outer Market
Godaime Hanayama Udon Ginza
Gotokuji Temple (Lucky Cat) -* see if time permits
Shibuya Sky
Shibuya Crossing
Akita Inu 3D billboard Shibuya Crossing
Panda 3D billboard Shibuya Center Gai -* see if time permits
Taito Station Shibuya-* see if time permits
Zauo Shibuya – Dinner (Birthday)
Don Quijote Shibuya – 24hrs

19 May 2024 (Sun) Tokyo
Senso-Ji Temple + Nakamise Dori opens at 8am *see if still want see day view and walk the street / Zozoji Temple + Tokyo Tower opens at 9am
Takeshita Street Harajuku
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Building Shinjuku
Calico cat 3D billboard Shinjuku East Exit -* see if time permits
Shinjuku Marui Annex (Daruma Giant Gachapon) -* see if time permits
Akihabara Owl Café
Animate Ikebukaro

20 May 2024 (Mon) Osaka
Kuromon Ichiba Market
Dotonburi
Osaka Castle

21 May 2024 (Tues) Nara
Todai-Ji Temple
Nara Park
Kasuga-Taisha Shrine
Mugi-no-kura Udon
Nakatanidou
-Half day or latest 2pm-
Zuboraya Shinsekai
Rikuro Cheesecake Store OSAKA
Shitennoji Temple-Ebisucho Station Osaka -* see if time permits

22 May 2024 (Wed) Kyoto
Kiyomizu-dera
Kodaiji Temple
Gion
Yasaka-Jinja Shrine
Nishiki Market
Ichiran Kyoto

23 May 2024 (Thurs) Kyoto
Arashiyama Bamboo Grove – Reach before 7am
Tenryu-Ji Temple
Hozugawa River Destination Point

24 May 2024 (Fri) Kyoto
Fushimi Inari Temple – Reach before 7am
-Check out at noon to Nagoya; free and easy-

25 May 2024 (Sat) Nagoya
Morning flight
by christinecitron  

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/13 05:42
Not enough shinkansen travel to make JR nation wide passes work.

Only short trips within each city to make any daily/regional pass work. Nara being the exception. But still no enough travel the the days before or after to make it viable.

If a IC card for travelling around the cities. And single tix for you shinkansen travels.

Just a side note. You itinerary is very very busy. I'd try to cut it down a bit.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/13 07:18
Single Shinkansen tickets work best. No pass covers that trip cheaper. Buy tickets for the faster Nozomi trains and try to get seat E&D for best chance to see mt Fuji.

The itinerary looks good to me. Only the 19/May is all over town. Ikebukuro, Akihabara, Shinjuku and one more place I now donft remember

I donft know enough about subway passes in Tokyo if they may pay off and you are not telling us where your hotel is.

For Kyoto my guess would be that there isnft a pass either

Buy IC cards for everyone (except the toddler) when you arrive
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/13 18:12
Buy Manaca IC card at the Centrair airport. This is the only IC card you can buy at Centrair. You can use this card (2000 yen, including 500 yen deposit). You are from Singapore, so you know EZ-link card. You can use this card at almost all big cities in Japan. You can buy this card from vending machines or ticket office. Children age 6-11 require child Manaca which you can buy only from the ticket office (Show passport in the office).

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2359_003.html

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2460.html

As for Shinkansen rides, buy single tickets as mentioned.

Most tourists go from Centrair to Nagoya city by Meitetsu line, but this is somewhat complicated. Some trains require only base fare which can be payed by Manaca card, some limited express train requires supplemental fee.
by frog1954 rate this post as useful

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/26 15:27
@H:
Thank you for your input!
How would you suggest me to arrange my trip? I am open to suggestions since it's my first time to Japan.

@LikeBike:
Thank you for your reco!
For 19 May I am staying near Okachimachi station, which attraction(s) would you suggest me removing?
I am staying near the train stations for all my accommodation (walking distance).
14 May: Nagoya Station
15-17 May: Disneyland Hotel
17-20 May: Okachimachi Station
20-24 May: Kyoto Station
25 May: Centrair Hotel

@frog1954:
Thank you for the detailed explanation!
May I check if Manaca IC is used nationwide? I read from the link you provide it seems to be just for Nagoya? How does it compare to Suica or Pasmo?
I am using iphone, would you recommend me using the digital Suica instead?
From Nagoya to Tokyo, we are planning to go via Meitetsu Line but most probably the normal train since the time saved is approx.~10mins? Do correct me if I am wrong.
by christinecitron rate this post as useful

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/26 17:18
To /From Nagoya Airport
You can buy meitetsu rail 1day pass 3400 yen for unlimited travel or 2 day pass =4400 yen
by Jim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/26 20:23
May I check if Manaca IC is used nationwide?

Yes. Please find the following sentence in the url I posted.

Suica, Pasmo, Icoca and seven more of Japan's most popular IC cards were made compatible with each other in 2013, making it possible to travel on almost all trains, subways and buses in most of Japan's largest cities with just a single of these cards.
I read from the link you provide it seems to be just for Nagoya? How does it compare to Suica or Pasmo?

Basically they (including Manaca) are the same.

I am using iphone, would you recommend me using the digital Suica instead?

I am not familiar with it, so I can not recommend it. However, note that each of your group members must have some kind of IC card (including mobile SUICA on iPhone).

From Nagoya to Tokyo, we are planning to go via Meitetsu Line but most probably the normal train since the time saved is approx.~10mins? Do correct me if I am wrong.

From Centrair to Nagoya? Meitetsu does not run to Tokyo. The merit of their limited express is the (secured) seat, not the time. Their network is rather complex, so you may need to transfer once or twice. Where (what station) will you be going?

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/31 15:09
@Jim: Thanks for the info I will look it up!

@frog1954: I might have confuse the Meitetsu with the JR.
It should be Centrair Airport to Nagoya Station via Meitetsu-Limited Exp.
If I am going for the normal train (base fare), is the chance of securing a ticket high for my travel period? Or would you suggest paying the supplemental fee to secure the seats on the limited express train?
Will be heading to Tokyo disneyland from Nagoya station (JR) the next day.
So I should be taking the Tokaido-Sanyo JR from Nagoya station to Tokyo station, transfer to Keiyo line?
Thanks again!

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/31 16:01
would you suggest paying the supplemental fee to secure the seats on the limited express train?

Meitetsu airport line from Centrair to Nagoya is basically commuter line so it has grush hourh. Centrair station is basically not crowded so you can take seat at the Centrair station, but it might be crowded around Nagoya station if you reach there around 8:00.

Actually the seat fee is not so expensive but it might be somewhat difficult to purchase the right ticket.

So I should be taking the Tokaido-Sanyo JR from Nagoya station to Tokyo station, transfer to Keiyo line?

JR Sanyo line is west of Osaka (Nagoya is outside). Normally you should take Tokaido Shinkansen from Nagoya to Tokyo which requires both base-fare and Shinkansen tickets. Tokaido line is not Shinkansen which is cheaper (no need to purchase Shinkansen ticket) but requires much more time.

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/3/31 23:17
@frog1954:
Based on their website:
https://www.meitetsu.co.jp/eng/airport-access/index.html
I should make an online reservation for the First class car which is the supplemental fee 450yen (SKY Limited Express) and thereafter on my arrival, I have to proceed to ticket counter to purchase the base ticket of 980yen?

I am looking to travel fast from Nagoya to Tokyo, does it mean I have to purchase the Nozomi service on Tokaido Shinkansen? Based on google, it would be 3 stops approx. 1hr 40mins? When purchasing at the ticket counter, do I purchase reserved seat ticket + shinkansen ticket? Or reserved seat ticket is sufficient? Is this what you mentioned?
https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/tickets/buy/

Thank you!

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/4/1 10:18
I should make an online reservation for the First class car which is the supplemental fee 450yen (SKY Limited Express) and thereafter on my arrival, I have to proceed to ticket counter to purchase the base ticket of 980yen?

You should not reserve online since your arrival time at Centrair is uncertain. If your members have only minimal luggage (like one backpack) and you will reach Nagoya at, say, 10:00, you donft need to take SKY at all. One benefit of SKY is they have luggage rack for big luggage. Anyway you can decide whether or not to take the SKY when you reach the Meitetsu Centrair station.

As for the normal ticket you should buy Manaca cards for each member to pay the fare.

Based on google, it would be 3 stops approx. 1hr 40mins?

Yes.

When purchasing at the ticket counter, do I purchase reserved seat ticket + shinkansen ticket?

You should say gNext Nozomi to Tokyoh at the ticket counter. Or you can buy via the ticket vending machine.

You must pay for the base fare and the Shinkansen ticket (=reserved seat ticket).

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/4/1 10:22

You should not reserve online since your arrival time at Centrair is uncertain. If your members have only minimal luggage (like one backpack) and you will reach Nagoya at, say, 10:00, you donft need to take SKY at all. One benefit of SKY is they have luggage rack for big luggage. Anyway you can decide whether or not to take the SKY when you reach the Meitetsu Centrair station.

As for the normal ticket you should buy Manaca cards for each member to pay the fare.

Based on google, it would be 3 stops approx. 1hr 40mins?

Yes.

When purchasing at the ticket counter, do I purchase reserved seat ticket + shinkansen ticket?

You should say gNext Nozomi to Tokyoh at the ticket counter. Or you can buy via the ticket vending machine.

You must pay for the base fare and the Shinkansen ticket (=reserved seat ticket).

Re: Single trip tickets / Transport Passes? 2024/4/6 12:09
@frog1954: Thank you for all the info you provided. It really helps in my transport planning!

reply to this thread