Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/17 15:26
30-31 nights in Japan before we travel to Utsunomiya for Motegi Moto GP.

Arrive 3 Sept 2024 in Fukuoka in morning.
2N - Fukuoka- include visit to Dazaifu

Visit to Yufuin on train trip to:
2 N - Beppu (also could make visit to Yufuin on day trip from Beppu in place of drop in).
Visit Kitsuki on train trip (via Shimonseki) - i)On way to Hagi:

2N Hagi
Travel via Yamaguchi to :
Iwakuni?

Reworked this section taking on board advice-

Instead of the below
3 N - Hiroshima and Miyajima (we have been to both before ) -

Stay 1N Hiroshima or none and travel on to;
2 N - Matsue, dropping into Izumo on the way.

Visit Tottori, On way to:
2N Okayama, visiting Onomichi & Kurashiki from there & also visit Takamatsu? is this worth a drop in, using Okayama station lockers- visit on day of travel to Kyoto?
May skip Himeji been before- & going tp Matsumoto.

6 N - Kyoto - maybe day trip to lake Biwa as not been and sites we missed last trip (we saw a lot but could not see all). & day trip to Nara OR spend ,1-2 N Nara
Then
2 OR 3 N - Kanazawa
Visit Shirakawa from Kanazawa? or visit on way to
2 N -Takayama
Bus to
1 N - Matsumoto then:
5 N - Tokyo
Tokyo- Day trips to Kamakura & maybe Fuji 5 Lakes
2N Nikko
then travel from there to Utsunomiya for Moto Gp accommodation

Appreciate advice. Not yet sure if 30 or 31 N as may be at Utsunomiya earlier due to going to 2 days of Moto GP practice sessions. If so, Would take 1 N from Nikko. Would not need to be in Utsunomiya until evening.
Open to changes
by Cocomax  

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/17 16:42
Looks good. I see the advise made it into the trip.

Re Takamatsu I personally really liked the garden there. For me it is the best Japanese garden I have seen (and I have seen a considerable number) but I am no garden freak either. Just loved how the surroundings were incorporated into the garden and still are there.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/17 18:37
We love a garden and Kenrokuen was amazing @Kanazawa so would be interested.

Thanks for that
by Cocomax rate this post as useful

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/17 18:40
I'd almost skip Hiroshima if you have been before. Hagi to Hiroshima to Tottori will be very sloe going. Use the time for somewhere else.

And yes include Yufuin in your itinerary somehow.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/17 22:17
Thanks so much
Workable transport links appears/is my very weak area at the moment.
If it is more practical to travel to Hagi via Yamaguchi then continue on to Matsue more directly from Hagi, and then travel by the most appropriate route to Okayama for the further plans, then I am on board with forgoing revisit to Hiroshima. Keen to see some slightly less trampled tourist areas. Will spend more time in Japan Guide to see what travel plan I can come up with.
We will most likely return to this area of Japan in the future & can do revisits if we wish then.

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/17 22:37
Actually using 'Rome to Rio' with the options clearly set out when inputting the planned journey & the provided timeframes & schedules helping!
Have used Rome to Rio in other parts of the world with good results so while I will be double checking it's a start.

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/17 22:47
I will do the reverse route in May, Okayama -> Matsue -> Hagi -> Tsuwano -> Fukuoka.

I initially wanted to do it in the same order as you, but the JR pass that covers that route (the now discontinued San'in Okayama Area pass) cannot be picked up in Hagi, or anywhere West of Matsue :(

I already took the train from Hagi to Matsue last year, with a 2 nights stop in Yunotsu onsen. It is a long but beautiful trip, if you enjoy sea views.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/17 23:04
The sea views would be a winner. I've inputted a few travel variations and while that is a longish journey timewise Hagi to Matsue for Japan, not so to us and removes any backtracking as well as supporting the pre Hagi plans.
I thought I would see if/what rail passes are worthwhile, with the bus action required, or offers best time option, that should be mainly covered by rail passes.
As we start in Fukuoka hoping to easily access there, any passes that cannot be achieved online. The travel will happen no matter what, so hope there are some passes that work.

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/18 11:54
JR West Sanyo San'In pass would be the only one that comes close to working for similar/same itinerary. But you need more days (7) than the pass is valid and not enough shinkansen travel to make it work.

The train passes just aren't realistic option to use as traveling away from the shinkansen line in Chugouk region, as travel can sometimes be 4+ hours, creint an itinerary where you need to stay 2 nights at every second spot.

As for travel links or routing. Just google map it. Look where you wanna go and link those towns/cities. Just click the car, train/bus or walk option.

by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/18 17:52
Thanks H, I thought passes appeared unlikely to work. Not hung up about that, we'll just make our way - done it all over and survived.
Worked well prior trip, as back when affordable, had 3 week pass & went down to Nagasaki & back from Tokyo.

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/18 17:53
Thanks H, I thought passes appeared unlikely to work. Not hung up about that, we'll just make our way - done it all over and survived.
Worked well prior trip, as back when affordable, had 3 week pass & went down to Nagasaki & back from Tokyo.

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/18 18:29
- If you travel from Kyushu to Hagi, Matsue, Okayama, and then Kyoto, the Sanyo San'in pass would pay off (with 2 nights in each place, before going to Kyoto).

- If you do Kyushu, Hiroshima, Matsue, Tottori, Okayama and then Kyoto: there's a 500 yens bus between Hiroshima and Matsue (although the details on how to purchase it seem unclear to me).

By the way, the main train station in Hagi is named "Higashi-Hagi" ("Higashihagi" on Navitime).
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Update itinerary- Fukuoka to Tokyo Sept 2024 2024/3/22 12:14
Thank you Mellye, that us very helpful.

reply to this thread