Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Train and bus pass combo check 2024/3/18 01:58
Hello everyone,

Now that I have set an itinerary, I would like another look at my transportation plans, to see whether it is the best cost / efficiency combo, or I could do it otherwise. I had planned to use Kansai Thru Pass, but we will travel in avril and may 2024, it seems it won't be available anymore ? Or if I buy them before the end of march, can I still use them in avril and may ?

Inputs are : we are 2 adults + 2 children (6 and 7). We intend to take the fastest available train, and to reserve seat as much as possible considering we will travel during GW. Inside big cities, we intend to use subway or bus quite frequently so the kids can rest and not walk all the time.

Itinerary :

Day 1 to 5 (20/04 to 24/04):
Arrival at KIX - 5 nights in Kyoto (Yamashina).
5 days in Kyoto include 1 day in USJ, 1 day around Uji, 1 day in Nara, 1 day in NW of Kyoto / Otsu, 1 day center and W of Kyoto.
=> This is where I first planned using 3 days Kansai Thru Pass (on non consecutive day) + 2 x day subway and bus pass in Kyoto. If Kansai thru Pass is not avalaible anymore, I've not sure the new Kansai Railway Pass it is relevant ?

Day 6 to Day 12 (26/04 to 31/05)
Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima - Tsuwano - Izumo - Matsue - Okayama - Himeji (round trip from Okayama) - Kobe - Hikone
=> Sanyo San'in Pass

Day 13 (01/05)
Hikone - Nagoya
=> Regular Ticket

Day 14 (02/05)
Nagoya (Ghibli Park)- travel to Tokyo in the end of the afternoon / evening
=> Regular Shinkansen ticket (booked in advance online to reserve seat)

Day 15 to 17(03/05 to 05/05)
Tokyo (exact program is not defined yet, but no day trip outside Tokyo)
=> Tokyo One day Pass or Tokyo Subway Ticket

Day 18 to day 21 (06/05 to 09/05)
Tokyo to Nikko - Sightseeing in Nikko Area (Chuzenji, Edo Wonderland, Okukinu Onsen) - Return to Tokyo
=> Nikko Pass all Area (4 days)

Day 22 (10/05)
Tokyo

Day 23 (11/05)
Leaving in the morning (NRT)

If I considered only the first 2 weeks, I found that train tickets would be around 70.000 / adult, so the 14 day Japan Rail Pass isn't paid off.
Especially considering that apart from the first 5 days in Kyoto, the rest is covered by Sanyo Sanin Pass (43.000) for 6 day + Shinkansen ticket from Nagoya to Tokyo (11.000) so around 55.000.

What do you think ? What would you advice for the first 5 days ?

Thank you very much
by Klapotis  

Re: Train and bus pass combo check 2024/3/18 23:37
Just to correct a mistake, I've inverted West and East.
We will go to Mount Heizan, Otsu, Gion Corner (for Miyako Odori) and Fushimi Sake District, so East, not West.
by Klapotis rate this post as useful

Re: Train and bus pass combo check 2024/3/19 00:47
3 days Kansai Thru Pass (on non consecutive day) + 2 x day subway and bus pass in Kyoto. If Kansai thru Pass is not avalaible anymore, I've not sure the new Kansai Railway Pass it is relevant
Both Otsu and Mount Hiei seem to be outside the area covered by the pass.
From Yamashina, the most convenient route to Uji and USJ seem to be using JR lines, where you can't use the Kansai Thru pass. For Nara, the Kintetsu line brings you closer to the park.

Maybe have a look a the Kansai Mini pass: https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansaimini/
It's 3000 yens for 3 consecutive days.

Kyoto - Hiroshima - Miyajima - Tsuwano - Izumo - Matsue - Okayama - Himeji (round trip from Okayama) - Kobe - Hikone
=> Sanyo San'in Pass

You probably meant 24/04 to 30/04? Transportation-wise it looks well optimized, but a bit rushed (are you doing only one night in Matsue?).

by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: Train and bus pass combo check 2024/3/19 01:49
Hi,

Sorry I don't know how to quote so I put your replies in italic

3 days Kansai Thru Pass (on non consecutive day) + 2 x day subway and bus pass in Kyoto. If Kansai thru Pass is not avalaible anymore, I've not sure the new Kansai Railway Pass it is relevant
Both Otsu and Mount Hiei seem to be outside the area covered by the pass.
From Yamashina, the most convenient route to Uji and USJ seem to be using JR lines, where you can't use the Kansai Thru pass. For Nara, the Kintetsu line brings you closer to the park.

My idear was : for the 3 days around Kyoto, using the Kansai Thru Pass, and the 2 outside (USJ and Nara) using regular JR ticket.

Maybe have a look a the Kansai Mini pass: https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/pass/kansaimini/
It's 3000 yens for 3 consecutive days.

I will have a look, thanks.

=> Sanyo San'in Pass

You probably meant 24/04 to 30/04? Transportation-wise it looks well optimized, but a bit rushed (are you doing only one night in Matsue?).

Yes you are right, it's 31/04 (and starting on the 25/04, I should'nt have posted while being tired yesterday). The breakdown is :
25/04 Travel from Kyoto to Miyajima (stop at Hiroshima only for the Peace Museum), Miyajima in the late afternoon, night in Miyajima
26/04 Travel from Miyajima to Tsuwano, Tsuwano visit in the afternoon (Taikodani Inari Jinja + strolling around in the evening)
27/04 Travel from Tsuwano to Izumo then Matsue, night in Matsue
28/04 Yushien (Pony festival) in the morning, Matsue center (castle, sake factory) in the afternoon, night in Matsue
29/04 Travel from Matsue to Okayama, Korakuen in the afternoon, night in Okayama
30/04 Day trip to Himeji, night to Okayama
31/04 Travel from Okayama to Hikone, stop on the way at Kobe Carpenter Museum, night in Hikone

Re: Train and bus pass combo check 2024/3/19 02:37
Oh sorry, I thought you wanted to do
- USJ, 1 day around Uji, 1 day in Nara --> with Kansai Thru pass
- 1 day in NW of Kyoto / Otsu, 1 day center and W of Kyoto --> with the subway+bus pass

IMO the Kansai Thru pass is too expensive for using it only in Kyoto and its immediate surroundings.

Re: Train and bus pass combo check 2024/3/19 04:58
While trying to buy the sanyo sanin pass, i came upon this offer :

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/cp/west_japan/sanyo_sanin.ht...

It seems to be the regular pass + a sightseeing 3 day pass included, does anyone know how it works and how to order it ?

Thank you

Re: Train and bus pass combo check 2024/3/19 05:22
"Available from select overseas travel agency"

I just checked and Klook has it, but not Rakuten travel.

reply to this thread