Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/21 23:39
Hello there. Hope all is well with you!

At late August, I'm traveling with 4 friends to Japan and we have an itinerary sorted out, however some questions remain if it's at all doable or even adequate and about methods of traveling so if you could kindly help, it would be very much appreciated.

So first things first:, our itinerary is Tokyo:

Arrival (A) 20aug late night / Departure (D) 23aug morning;

Osaka:

(A) 23aug morning / (D) 26aug morning;

Considering daytrip to Mt. Koya and/or Nara during this time;

Kyoto:

(A) 26aug morning / (D) 29aug morning;

Considering daytrip to Kanazawa during this time;

Takayama:

(A) 29aug morning / (D) 1sept morning back to Tokyo where we stay until the 6th of September.

Considering daytrip to Shirakawago and after we're on Tokyo to Hakone during this time;

Now, pop quiz time!

a) Is it worth it to buy the JR Pass if we're doing all these trips and if so, does it cover any of these daytrips?

b) Does the JR Pass mean we have to buy tickets or does it work as a ticket? Asking because I bought an interrail pass and I had to buy some tickets to certain companies when I went through Europe;

c) Can we buy online tickets in advance (if so which website, because I've seen a few and I'm not sure they're authentic or just a reseller) or do we need to go physically to a train station to buy them?

d) We'll be traveling with rather big luggage, as in the 23kg cases (they won't be that heavy, but it's so you can picture the size of it). Does that require any special reservation when we're booking the trips? Do the trains have any space for them?

e) Are we being overly ambitious with our daytrips considering our schedule?

f) Are there any overrated places we should avoid at all? Also are there any places we ABSOLUTELY NEED to go?

g) Any special advice for the trip, like how to spot tourist traps, any areas known for being less safe, language barriers, etc.?

Sorry for the long post but better safe than sorry! And it's kind of a one time trip so I want to make the most of it.

Thanks in advance and best regards!
by Gonsa17  

Re: Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/22 09:54
Hey your questions look like you are right at the start of your research.

I'd check the transportation section of this website, then return with further questions.

JR pass won't pay off for your itinerary. So you can scroll past that bit.

You have a lot of days in Tokyo and few in Kyoto. I'd equalise then with same number of days.

Forget staying a Osaka. Just go for a single day day trip.

Don't do Kanazawa as a daytrip. Stay the night there. Visit shirakawago on the way to Takayama. Stay the night there also.

Train tickets can be purchased a month in advance. Links can be found from the JR east central or west websites.
by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/22 20:00
I agree with everything @H said.

Just to add for the suitcase. Such a big suitcase will be a bit troublesome:
- hotel rooms are small and mostly donft have cupboards. So even if you bring a lot of clothes it can be hard to store them in the room and you also need to store the suitcase somewhere
- in Shinkansen between Tokyo and Osaka you need to reserve a seat in the last row so you have space behind your seat for the suitcase
- bigger lockers can be harder to find if you want to do tourism before you go to your hotel.
by LikeBike rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/23 07:08
Good advice above.
However, I disagree on not staying in Osaka (unless you hate lively, busy cities with lots going on) , it's completely different from Kyoto and a nice contrast, it's particularly interesting at night. Also, despite what some people often post, there's lots to do and see and you already know about the good day trip options.
Kanazawa definitely worth staying over in.
by Denis C rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/23 08:29
d) We'll be traveling with rather big luggage
Why? You could travel with smaller and more manageable cases. Anything over 160cm combined dimensions would be a hassle. My suitcase (I only have one) measures 110cm and I travel for a month at a time around the country or internationally with it. Including my computer is tops out around 12kg. Try packing/bringing less - many people manage with carry-on size suitcases. My last group had carry-on bags for their 2-week trip.
by JapanCustomTours rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/23 09:42
Regarding large suitcases (the mention of which always seems to draw negative reactions and in most cases the stock reply that you should use the luggage forwarding service known as takuhaibin, even though in my experience that is not all it is cracked up to be), I have found that two smaller pieces of luggage, stacked, are actually easier to deal with, especially on trains. On my last trip I used a cabin-size small suitcase plus a rolling briefcase that could stack on top of the suitcase. I did use takuhaibin strategically to dispatch the small suitcase, and then the rolling briefcase was just great (I had a fold-up tote bag that could stack on top of that). The small suitcase (which had an expansion joint although I didnft always use it) plus the rolling briefcase together held almost as much stuff as a larger suitcase would, but the briefcase actually held all I needed for short segments of the trip. I additionally had a daypack-sized backpack that I never had to stuff very full. I am not a light packer myself, although over the years I have learned to get by with less and less.

Ifm not telling you to use this exact configuration of pieces (on an earlier trip I used a small suitcase plus a medium-sized expandable duffel bag instead of a rolling briefcase) but to consider the possibility that two pieces can actually be easier to manage than one. (And you wonft have to reserve space on the shinkansen.) I really donft know why so many tourists insist on bringing one large (often huge) suitcase. Dividing things up into two smaller stackable pieces makes it much easier to use the top shelf on the shinkansen (and some limited express trains), and when stacked makes for a smaller gfootprinth if you are on public transit. At my age and strength, I could not lift a fully loaded medium or large suitcase up to the baggage shelf on a train. Spreading the weight out works great, and often you have plenty of space to keep at least one piece on the floor in front of you if it isnft a large suitcase. Also, itfs always easier to find coin lockers for smaller pieces.

Because I like to bring home a lot of stuff from Japan, I always check more bags on the way home, by the way. I either bring a fold-up duffel bag or else buy a suitable piece over there. But I have learned to do the bulk of my shopping at the end of the trip (and to allow a couple of days for this) so I donft have to pull out the additional piece while Ifm still traveling around to a bunch of places.

Regarding the JR pass, you probably wonft be able to get a nationwide pass to gpay offh but if you come up with an itinerary that makes it worthwhile, it can be very convenient because if you buy it through the official site you can make JR reservations online up to 30 days in advance, and you can also cancel and change reservations online. For reserved seats on limited express trains and the shinkansen you are supposed to get tickets before you board the train, but typically this takes very little time at the proper machine. (Watch out for Kyoto Station, though. The staffed ticket offices and even the machines can have surprisingly long lines. Except for Kyoto I have never had to wait very long at a machine, but some smaller stations donft have the right kind. And even at Kyoto if you go early in the day the lines tend to be short.) You can use the pass alone (without a seat ticket) to board JR trains only if you use unreserved cars on limited express trains and the shinkansen (or local trains that donft even have seat reservations). But you are going to want to get an IC card for non-JR local transit such as subways and buses. (Read up on IC cards, but basically they are a near-necessity.) There are also some train companies that arenft JR, such as Keihan in Kyoto and Keikyu in Tokyo/Yokohama. You might in fact want to use some of these lines.

As for where to go, I donft think there are any sites in Japan that you absolutely canft miss. I actually consider nearly all the gmust-seeh spots to be gmust-avoidh places because they are almost inevitably seriously crowded, and I donft like crowded places in Japan (to a certain extent you canft avoid them, but I make an effort to). However, for a newcomer I will admit that it is hard to figure out where the great places are that arenft tourist magnets. (I generally wouldnft call them tourist traps, exactly. Places like Hakone, Kinkakuji or Kiyomizudera, and Hiroshima/Miyajima are all okay but can be insanely crowded to the point that they are quite unpleasant.) Ifm sort of with LikeBike on Osaka, although I have a small number of places there that I genuinely like, and I went out of my way to spend one night there on my last trip. It is also not bad as a base for day trips, depending on your itinerary and where your hotel is located. In Kansai I prefer Kyoto as a home base, although I try never to stay there on weekends (room rates go way up, although they also do in Osaka).
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/23 09:52
[Summer heat]

H (guest) :
You have a lot of days in Tokyo and few in Kyoto. I'd equalise then with same number of days.
Forget staying a Osaka. Just go for a single day day trip.

You travel in Kansai late August;
the summer heat should still be lingering,
especially in Kyoto and Nara.

It may be better
to base yourself near Ōsaka Station
and take a rapid train to Kyōto | Nara early in the morning,
minimizing the gap
between the cool-conditioned, indoor air and the summer outdoor air.

[Route]

From Kyoto,
you can travel via Takayama, Shirakawa-go and Kanazawa to Tokyo.

Kyōto Station --[JR]-- Takayama Station --
Takayama Bus Terminal --[bus]-- Shirakawa-go --[bus]--
Kanazawa Station West Exit Bus Terminal --
Kanazawa Station --[JR Hokuriku Shinkansen]-- Tōkyō Station.

[Luggage]

JapanCustomTours:
You could travel with smaller and more manageable cases.

I agree.

As LikeBike points out,
you may well be at a loss where and how you store such a big suitcase.

Anyway, you had better pack light.
See the advice from Japan Guide.
- Japan Guide: Luggage
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2274.html

On the three Shinkansen lines connecting Tokyo and Kyushu Region,
there is a special rule about your big luggage and seat reservation.
See the introduction by JR-Central,
the operator of the Tōkaidō Shinkansen.
- JR-Central: Reservations for Seats with an Oversized Baggage Area
https://global.jr-central.co.jp/en/info/oversized-baggage/
by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/26 01:36
Thank you all for the great feedback!

I'll try to keep in mind all that you said and spruce up some things so we can enjoy this trip.

You're all awesome!

Safe travels!
by Gonsa17 rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/26 03:14
Building upon OP's original post, I'm visiting for the first time soon and going to similar places. Was just wondering which places / journeys a suica card WON'T cover and so which would need to be booked independently?
by Kurth (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Advice for an 18-day trip (long post) 2024/3/26 07:47
IC cards are not accepted on Shinkansen and if you use a limited express you need to buy an additional ticket. I also think that highway busses donft accept IC cards.
Plus there are some rather remote places that donft accept IC cards where youfll need to pay in cash.
I travel extensively through Japan including remote places and last year it only happened once to me. On Oigawa railway.

by LikeBike rate this post as useful

reply to this thread