Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Which app do you use for timetables 2024/3/22 16:52
Hello,

after Hyperdia changes some years ago when they discontinued the timetables which is the app you use for that?

On website I use Jorudan but for cellphone I think for non Japanese users is better Navitime (Japantravel) , do you have any other recommendation?

Thanks
by Peter1986  

Re: Which app do you use for timetables 2024/3/22 18:38
just use google maps. easy and has all JR and almost any private transport included.
by Glimpigumpi rate this post as useful

Re: Which app do you use for timetables 2024/3/22 19:00
I agree that Google Maps is best - unless you want to know specific prices.
by mfedley rate this post as useful

Re: Which app do you use for timetables 2024/3/22 20:31
On my last trip I used one called 'Japan Transit Planner' on my iPhone, and found it to be reliable and easy to use, with a similar interface to the old Hyperdia app. I believe it is a free app, with some premium features available via subscription, but I never bothered with subscribing and had everything I needed in just the free version.
by frippscratch rate this post as useful

Re: Which app do you use for timetables 2024/3/22 22:23
I used both Navitime & Jorudan (Japan transit planner) on my last trip. Sometimes one would give me what seemed an odd result but doing the same query in the other cleared things up.
by Stan Norrell rate this post as useful

Re: Which app do you use for timetables 2024/3/23 01:00
If you can read quite a bit of Japanese, there is an app called JR時刻表Pro that you can get with some English features. I really like this app (which I use on my iPad). It includes non-JR trains, is reliable for routings, and has many additional features. But I do have a relatively high (for foreigners) level of reading ability (and even then it’s somewhat of an effort for me to use). It also costs something like $10 per month (without the English features it’s cheaper but still costs money). So I purchase it when I am in the last stages of planning a trip, and while I am in Japan. The more I use it, the more I like it. It’s definitely not for everyone, though. (The English features are useful but fairly limited.) Interestingly, it allows you to indicate if you have a JR Pass (nationwide) and gives appropriate results for that. (But not many people buy JR Passes anymore.)

I have found Google Maps to be generally useful, and it seems to be gradually but continually improving. However, it sometimes gives you very flaky routings (that no sane person would use), and isn’t 100% reliable. As a bonus, it’s reasonably good for buses, though. (But you should always verify through another source.) Interestingly, on my last trip I asked a Japanese native who lives there what she uses, and she said Google Maps (in Japanese)!

I tend to use Navitime on my iPad and Android phone when I’m feeling lazy and/or don’t have an active JR時刻表Pro subscription. I sometimes use Jorudan, but generally like Navitime better. (I just use the free version and don’t pay for the advanced features.) There is a Japanese app called JR時刻表Lite that I sometimes use, but it has no English features and costs $3.59 a month (and unlike the Pro version, it annoyingly auto-renews until you tell it to stop). It is very reliable for routings and schedules, but totally useless if you can’t read Japanese.

I always liked Hyperdia and was very sorry to see it bite the dust, for all intents and purposes. I don’t think anything that exists now in English is as good.
by Kim (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread