Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/4 00:48
Please, I have 2 questions.
I"ll be flying in from Bangkok to Haneda airport on, let's say, Day Zero. At the airport, I'll activate my JR East Tohoku Area Pass to be effective on Day 1 and also activate my JR West All Area Pass to be effective on Day 5.
From Day 1 to Day 4, I'll do the sightseeing in the Tohoku Area. On Day 5, I intend to board the Hakutaka train of the Hokuriku Shinkansen at Tokyo station and ride the train to Kanazawa station using the two passes in succession. My questions are :
1) Do I have to buy a separate ticket covering the Sakudaira station to Joetsu-Myoko station?
2) If I have to buy a separate ticket for that section, can I buy the ticket beforehand at Tokyo station and just stay on the train until it reaches Kanazawa station? Do I have to disembark first from that train at Sakudaira and then board again on the next train?
Thank you kindly for your answers. I'll be visiting Japan in September 2024.
by waroon (guest)  

Re: JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/4 05:27
Cannot do your plan. JR West pass need to be collected/activated in JR West area.

https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/en/ticket/receive/?railpass=10&mco=1&a...

by H (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/4 05:29
Is the JR Wesy pass actually a real viable option? It's a very expensice pass for limited usage over 7 days.

Re: JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/5 02:03
1. Yes - but why Joetsu-Myoko? That is not Kanazawa. 2. Yes - if you do this, you won't be sticking your ticket into the machine at Sakudaira Station though, so I suggest you go to the manned gate at Kanazawa Station and show both the pass and regular ticket.
But the All Area Pass covers all the way down to Yamaguchi - where are you planning to go, and is that pass really the one you need? Plus where are you leaving Japan from? Are you going back to Tokyo? There are still many questions about your plans.
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/5 02:09
BTW Just to be clear, if you really want to use the All Area Pass, you'd have to activate it at Toyama or Kanazawa. And there are not that many shinkansen going through - if you get off at Toyama to activate the pass, you could be waiting up to an hour for the next train.
https://www.westjr.co.jp/global/th/ticket/pass/shop/pdf/JRW_EN.PDF
by Ken (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/5 18:20
Thanks H, Thanks Ken
Thank you very much for your rapid and informative responses. You are very kind
Your info about where we can activate the JR West All Area Pass sort of forcing me to alter to my Plan B.
I think I'll have to buy the 14 days Japan Rail Pass instead. Alas, at 80,000 Yen it is very expensive indeed.
Thanks again for being so generous with explanations.
by waroon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/5 18:38
Why can't you buy the Tohoku pass, plus a single ticket to Kanazawa?
by Mellye rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/6 05:31
Yup agreed. Unless you have some kind of extensive extra travel no listed, then a 14d rail pass just doesn't make sense.

Re: JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/6 12:53
Dear Friends
My rough plan is to fly into Haneda Airport. I'll travel light, hopping on and off the JR and moving from one Toyoko Inn to another every other day or so. I'll be flying off from Fukuoka Airport 14 days later. Hoping for pretty scenery and tasty food and meeting good people throughout the trip. Thank You for all your care.
by waroon (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: JR East Tohoku Pass & JR West All Area Pass 2024/4/6 16:06
For 80,000 yens, you could buy the Tohoku pass, the Hokuriku pass and the Setouchi pass which lets you ride the Nozomi between Shin -Osaka and Hakata.
by Mellye rate this post as useful

reply to this thread