Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Taking medicines into Japan 2007/11/25 18:46
My partner is Asthmatic. We are planning on taking a host of inhalers with their prescriptions - is this ok?
She also takes lots of over the counter stimulants that appear to be banned in Japan -does anyone now what the Japanese equivalents of things like vicks or flexonase are? Many thanks
by shaun  

. 2007/11/26 09:30
I never had a problem taking my prescription asthma medication into Japan. However, no experience with the over the counter type inhalers.
by John rate this post as useful

banned ingredients 2007/11/26 13:20
Pseudoephedrine and codeine are banned ingredients I believe, and I have heard that Vicks inhalers contain one of these two. Ask at your pharmacy at home for products that don't contain these drugs and you should be fine.
by Sira rate this post as useful

need more help 2007/12/16 04:14
the japanese authorities apparently show no compassion should you turn up with a banned substance - so i wouldn't want to rely on my local pharmacy - does anyone know what is available over the counter in japan (we wont take anything with us) ?
by shaun rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/16 13:53
the japanese authorities apparently show no compassion should you turn up with a banned substance

Nor do any other Customs officials in most other countries.

I carry albuterol which is a standard issued prescription inhaler in the US, never had a problem with customs.

Vicks not allowed? 2007/12/16 14:53
Ifve always carried Vicks Inhaler when I travel, especially when I fly. I wasnft even aware that it was not allowed in Japan. I usually take 4 or 5 with me.

The only active ingredient it contains is 50mg of Levmetamfetamine (nasal decongestant), is that what is banned in Japan?
by Lacalifusa rate this post as useful

.. 2007/12/17 00:44
is ventolin evohaler by GlaxoSmithKline acceptable in japan?
by jing rate this post as useful

no further forward 2007/12/18 04:22
you cant phone the japanese embassy etc. you need to write and im out of time for that - stimulants of any kind are TOTALLY illegal (jail/deportation) in Japan which includes UK/USA vicks etc. i really cant find out definitve info for the multitude of inhalers she has - due to medicines having different names/ingredients in other countries etc. if any one has any further info i'd appreciate it thank you

prescription drugs 2007/12/18 07:14
If you are prescribed for medications and need to carry prescribed medicine, it's allowed.
Just keep the prescription label on the medication.
Don't carry any more than you need for your trip.
You need to check about inhalers (is it liquid?) with customs of your country and Japan embassies. No liquid or jel poilicy are in effect for the national security so you need to find out how much of that they would allow on board or if any at all.
by cc rate this post as useful

. 2007/12/18 09:05
Inhalers are an aerosol , however even with the liquid ban on flights as carry-on, liquid medicines are still allowed.

taking medicine into japan 2007/12/21 07:15
thanks for all your answers

Re: Taking medicines into Japan 2011/9/27 14:45
This reply may not be appropriate but may be useful in case of emergency.

Regarding the over-the-counter medicine, according to the pharmacist,
the following medicines are sold well for the persons having allergic
cough / phlegm caused by bronchitis or asthma in Japan as of 2011 September.

Asugen-San (powder type) - 16 packets per box ... 1,449 Yen
One packet per time, three times a day after meals.

Asugen-Jou A (tablets) - 60 tablets per bottle ... 1,260 Yen
Four tablets per time, three times a day after meals.

Prices will differ depending on pharmacies.
by Senthil (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Taking medicines into Japan 2011/9/28 10:44
I've traveled to Japan many times with prescription pain killers and over the counter medications. So far I haven't had any issues with customs however it is best if you get a letter from your doctor containing a list of all the medications you are taking, even the over the counter ones. Should the customs officer ask why you are carrying the medication you can produce the letter confirming they are for personal use.
by Ben (guest) rate this post as useful

Agree with Ben 2011/9/28 14:38
I fully agree with Ben. Before each trip to Japan I go to our local doctor, with a list of prescription AND non-prescription medications that we need to take.
He scans it onto his letter head and signs and dates it.
Easy.
I also carry it all in my carry on and show it at the customs counter each time.
Never had a problem.
I ALSO need this information to get BACK INTO Australia: we have to declare all medications, even for personal use, here, so I have no difficulty in doing it in Japan, or anywhere else.
I use Ventolin inhalers, and have this on hand at all times, and again, no problems.
Good luck and enjoy!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread