Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How good is Sophia University's FLA? 2008/6/4 05:30
Hi.

I'm a high school student from Berlin, Germany and I am graduating this year. I have applied to Sophia University's FLA because I wanted to go to Japan for an undergraduate degree since I have been there for 6 months a few years ago.
Sadly, I missed the application deadline for Waseda's SILS.

To be honest, I think I will be accepted into Sophia University. I'm not sure but I have a good feeling.

The thing that bothers me is that I don't know how good Sophia's FLA actually is. I mean, there are rankings, each showing me different things, about the actual Sophia University but not about this particular faculty. The same goes for Waseda's SILS by the way.

Maybe someone knows anything about how good Sophia University is. I would be glad.
by opseudo  

top notch as a uni though 2008/6/8 01:57
I'm not sure what you mean by "how good" but most people in Japan tend to just education by the name of the university and not by departments or faculties.
by Uco rate this post as useful

fla 2008/6/16 09:03
it depends very much on the courses you take there. Professers as well as the level of students varies heavily. So, choose carefully and I'm sure you can learn a lot there if you're motivated. Library is good and up-todate and some calsses are really good (mainly IBE from my experiences). But it is Japan, many students sleep and yet in many cases most of them get an A. But you should not care about grades, they have no value there since only the name of the universtiy has value. Follow your interest and do your work as good as you can. Administration is very helpful . I'd choose sophia's FLA again. but again it's all up to you.
by guru rate this post as useful

. 2008/6/17 10:47
Both Waseda and Sophia are very prestigious universities. I don't think there are many differences. If you are accepted, go for Sophia--the location is better.
by tokyogal rate this post as useful

Sophia Uni 2008/7/3 22:14
Hey, Sophia University is a very good private university in Japan. Even my grandparents told me it's hard getting in there. Anyway, I was wondering if you got accepted?
by acidroses rate this post as useful

hey 2008/7/4 02:15
FLA's gooooooooooooooooood! Hopefully you're joinin us real soon. :)
by aikooo rate this post as useful

Got In. 2008/7/4 07:55
Well, I got actually got accepted. :D
But I am still not sure if I really want to got.
by opseudo rate this post as useful

:( 2008/9/6 07:37
i just finished a semester in FLA and tell you the truth it's not that good. Like people have said, it's just the name that makes sophia prestigious not anything else. classes are all over the map, but a lot are just a joke.
by SOPHIA rate this post as useful

Sophia 2011/5/5 19:16
I just went there for a semester. Pertaining to academics FLA is awful. If you want to explore Japan and not go to class much it is pretty good. Although most teachers have a strict attendance code.
by Jane (guest) rate this post as useful

go for it 2011/5/6 10:51
I was also a student there and I don't think it was as awful as Jane says. It depends a lot on which courses you're taking. their codes indicate specific levels of difficulty so if you want something a little bit more challenging you'll find it.

Then again, you can't expect much from education in Japan at the undergraduate level. This is for all universities, not only for Sophia.

I say, if you get the chance to go there, don't let it go. There are other things and great experiences you can have just by living in Tokyo. Actually, international exchange programs at the undergraduate level aim mostly to broaden the horizon of young students and acquire a global perspective, to practice adaptation to other cultures and to become disciplined by living independently.

When you get back to your country and look for a job, no one is going to care what university and what courses you took in Japan, but it will only demonstrate your capability of adaptation, independence and maturity, which is a lot more valuable than anything you could have learned there.

if you stay in japan and if it makes you feel better, sophia is considered one of the top private institutions in Japan. You'll be respected every time you say you studied there and you'll have a good chance over other competitors at the interviews with different companies.

i say, go for it.
by beto (guest) rate this post as useful

Skip the brand names, follow the Chinese 2011/5/6 20:53
I currently live and work in Japan, and have been looking into programs to improve my Japanese once I have saved up enough to stop working. A good friend who lives in the same small town and who has been here on and off for 20 years suggested to me to enroll in one of the myriad specialty Japanese language schools that are scattered throughout Japan. They are primarily used by people of various East Asian nationalities, but there is nothing stopping other people from enrolling. If your primary aim is to improve you Japanese, check out these databases:
http://www.aikgroup.co.jp/j-school/english/index.htm
http://www.nisshinkyo.org/
by Hagura rate this post as useful

reply to this thread