Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say I like you to a boy? 2008/10/18 16:08
I'm a girl, he's my boyfriend... I've been searching for hours but there are so many forms, like... ''Daisuki'', ''Watashi wa anata ga suki desu'', ''Suki da yo''... I've also discovered ''Suki desu'' but it doesn't mean anything without the object... My boyfriend's name is Andy. How can I say it to him? I mean, where do I put his name in a sentence like ''Suki desu''? And is there anything that a girl can say and a boy can't? Like special words... I've read something about ''wa'' and ''yo'', but I'm not too sure... Ç_Ç
by Julie  

Suki desu! 2008/10/18 18:38
"Suki desu!" would usually be clear as the object is the other person; but if you would like to make more of a declaration, how about: "watashi ha Andy no koto ga suki desu!"
by M rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/22 00:04
In more informal and usual way, you can say, "(watashi) Andy no koto suki dayo."
by mm rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/22 08:44
There are of course different ways to put it:
"{A] ga suki" is the essence, saying "I like [A]."

- "Suki desu" comes with the polite ending
- "Dai-suki" comes with a prefix "dai-" to emphasize "very much" 
- "Watashi wa anata ga suki desu" comes with "I..." and "...you" with the
polite ending. This "I" and "you" can be omitted because it is obvious.
- "Suki da yo" comes with "...da" (informal ending replacing "desu") and "...yo" an emphatic ending normally used by guys, or in very informal situations among close people.

So for you, a girl saying it to Andy, I think if you say:
- Andy ga dai-suki (I like you, Andy, very much!)
or
- Andy no koto ga suki (I like Andy)
..it would be just fine (and the right tone).
by AK rate this post as useful

endings 2008/10/23 17:15
AK

I don't think "...yo" is normally used only by guys. In the past it used to be certainly a masculine ending but nowadays females also use it as much as males do. If a sentence ends only with "...da", it would sound masculine, but "...dayo" is an ending normally used by both sexes in informal situations.

So even for a girl, it's very common to say: X no koto suki dayo ("ga" is often omitted in this expression.)

Of course it's a matter of personal preference when it comes to the subtle difference of nuance, though.

by mm rate this post as useful

... 2008/10/23 19:28
mm,

Thanks for your comment.

I think it's acceptable for the girl to say that (with "....da yo") to the boy if in an already close couple. Still I consider "...(da)yo" as more masculiine (or actually boyish) for girls :) Depending on the tone how it is said, it does sound at least boyish, a bit like throwing words at the other person, so to be on the safe side, I chose politer speech :) But maybe there's a generational thing here too, so I will not contradict anyone lol
by AK rate this post as useful

thanks! 2008/10/24 12:41
Thank you everyone! I've said it like this: "Andy no koto ga suki desu". Thanks to you now I'm sure it's right! Also the too last answers have helped me. I almost said "dayo" but gave it up... So thanks again!
^^
by Julie rate this post as useful

. 2008/11/3 14:57
how about, "i still love you." or "im still not over you." how are you going to say that?
by tsuki rate this post as useful

Critical Nuance 2008/12/12 21:04
Is there a native Japanese speaker who can clarify this: If I tell a Japanese person "kimi no koto ga suki", am I telling them that I am IN LOVE with them? Or am I just expressing affection/liking for them? What is the difference in actual meaning between "no koto ga suki" and "aishiteiru"? In English we make a clear distinction between liking someone and being in love with them, and the wrong choice of words can lead to breaking someone's heart without meaning to.
by ihatobu rate this post as useful

追伸 2008/12/12 21:11
私は日本語がぺらぺらなんです。それでも、こういうニュアンスはさっぱり分かりません。
by ihatobu rate this post as useful

differences 2008/12/13 19:00
Well, I believe you'll never break japanese hearts using any of these words. They're not *this* worried about words, and I don't think it would hurt them to say "I like you" instead of "I'm in love with you"... By the way, they use "I like you" much more, but not for every kind of feeling. There are ways and ways to say it. And when you listen very well, you can see it's a whole lot more beautiful then the same old "I love you" thing...
by Julie rate this post as useful

reply to this thread