Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 48

1 2 3
next

Location - USMC bases on Mt Fuji in 1958 2008/12/18 10:49
While serving in the USMC in 1957 I was stationed at Mt. Fuji Middle Camp. Where was it located and where on the Mountain was it located??
(I think there was also a South Camp and a North Camp)
by Paul E. Anderson  

. 2008/12/18 14:20
I don't know it's history, bu I just found 3 places as possibilities with some Google works.

1.Kita-Fuji(North Fuji) Exercise Area was held by USMC from 1945 and returned to Japan in 1958. It's located in Fuji-Yoshida-shi, Yamanakako-mura and Oshino-mura, Yamanashi-ken.

2.Higashi-Fuji(East Fuji) Exercise Area was held by USMC from 1945 and returned to Japan in 1968 except Camp Fuji Area. It's located in Gotenba-shi, Susono-shi and Oyama-cho, Shizuoka-ken.

3.Camp Fuji was a part of Higashi-Fuji Exercise Area and USMC keeps it.(http://www.mccsfuji.com/)

Hope you can find what you want.
by . rate this post as useful

. 2008/12/18 14:23
Just found one more thing. This link might help you.(http://www.geocities.com/itemco3d/japan0.html)
by . rate this post as useful

USMC Marine Bases at Camp Fuji 2010/4/26 00:21
I was stationed at Middle Camp Fuji from 10/53 till 10/55. The 3d division was in Japan. There was also a South Camp and a North Camp. South Camp was the home of the tanl battalion, Middle Camp was the home of the Infantry and the Military Police. These outfits were in the 3d Regiment of the 3d Division. 1st battalion and headquarters was at North Camp, 2d Battalion of tankers was at South Camp and he 3d Battalion of Infantry at Middle Camp. Brings back some great memories.
by Ron (guest) rate this post as useful

Camp Fiji 1973 2010/12/16 05:33
I was a radio operator with Lima Battery 12th Marines 3rd MARDIV Camp Hague Okinawa from September 1972 to September 1973. From January 1973 to July 1973 we were deployed to Camp Fuji Japan for training. Tanks were leaving as we arrived. I recall a 'base camp' and a 'north camp'. Base camp was small and had permanent personnel and was located near a very small village, (don't recall the name) about 10 miles (it seems) from Gotemba. North camp was less than a mile from base camp if I recall. We had quantson huts to stay in and very spartan conditions by today's standards. I recall the Japanese training camp right across the road from us. It was desolate, cold, and depressing but Mt. Fuji was beautiful in contrast. Would love to hear from anyone else familiar or that served there.
by Tom Seem (guest) rate this post as useful

placement of Middle Camp Fuji 2011/1/7 01:39
I never really weent to Middle Camp as I was stationed at South Camp from early '54 to end of '55. I do know we met Marines from both Middle and North Camp on liberty in Gotemba. Our Camp was the closet to
Gotemba and Fujioka. I would guess a few miles based on a map I have seen. We were
right on the sloop of Mt. Fuji.
by rjbarr rate this post as useful

deserted 2011/1/23 22:23
I was stationed on the Mt. Fuji base camp. @nd batt. from Okinawa. I was in the ginza on weekend liberty when the whole Camp was buldozered into the ground and left me there ( in civies ) when I returned to Base camp there was noone there. Nothing! After 4 hours I was picked up and told that the president had placed a quarinteen on shipping into Cuba. A interesting position to be in for a Cpl.
by stephen Williams (guest) rate this post as useful

1976 at Mt. Fuji 2011/4/17 02:35
I spent 3 months at Mt. Fuji in 1976 with Company G, 2nd Battalion, 9th Marines, 3rd Marine Division. Many memories at the base bit i do not remember seeing another camp. Enjoyed climbing the mountain and reaching the bottom of the snow at 12,000 feet. Have a piece of the climbing stick they gave us. Climbed it 9/30/76. Semper Fi!!!
by Ken Euman (guest) rate this post as useful

Mt. Fuji February 1965 - May 1966 2011/8/10 04:44
I was stationed at Mt. Fuji at the start of the Vietnam War. They moved all units off the Mt. in February 1965 (Tanks, 12th Marines etc...) Next we heard the division had landed at Danang and the rest is history. I spent the next 13 months at Mt. Fuji base camp with appox 40 other Marines. The camp was kept open to monitor the ranges and keep unauthorized personnel from entering the impact areas. There were serveral local deaths associated with scavangers of brass during this period. I returned to sub-unit 2 on Okinawa in Feb 1966.
by Jesse Allen (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Location - USMC bases on Mt Fuji in 1958 2011/10/11 09:44
I was stationed at Camp Fuji, Range Company, Comm Center Sep 68-Apr 69. North Camp I think was located in what is now Takigahara Garrison Japanese Army Across the road from the main gate of Camp Fuji. The town is Takigahara and is 10 KM from Gotemba.
by Bill Woods (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Location - USMC bases on Mt Fuji in 1958 2012/1/24 01:47
I was stationed in South Camp Fugi from December 1955 to Fall of 1956 when all Marines were shipped to Okinawa.

I was in the 3rd Marine Division, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Battalion. I climbed (Walked) Mount Fugi and it was an experience I will always remember. A lot of great memories spent in the town of Fugioka by a young 18 year old Marine.
by Gunney SGT rate this post as useful

Re: Location - USMC bases on Mt Fuji in 1958 2012/1/25 00:38
I was stationed at south Camp Fiji in 54 to 55 with the 3rd Marine Div. in tanks. Spent many hrs. in fujioka (sp) and went to Tokyo and other liberty trips while Went back a few yr. ago and tried to find our Camp but was not successful in doing so. was in Kogashima 3 yrsw. ago at the airport that trained the Kami Pilots. Wouold like to return there and spend 2 or 3 days. Would like to hear from anyone who was there in the 3rd tank Btn. at that time. I remember some names Capt. Hayes. Lt Fife
Lt. Uspalmer, Cpl. Shogia (sp) married a Japanese girl while we were there, Gunney Sgt. Farmer and Sgt. Ashcraft. I am from Indiana.
by t34 jockey rate this post as useful

Former Marine stationed at Middle Camp Fuji 2012/3/9 15:14
I was stationed at Middle Camp Fuji in 1957 and early 1958. assigned to W-2-9, I was in 81 mortar. The 3rd Mar Div relocated to Okinawa if I recall correctly in early 1958. A group of us climbed Mt Fuji stayed on top overnight. Remember the Fuji Sticks that were branded at different elevations.
by Z. A. Zudyk (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Location - USMC bases on Mt Fuji in 1965 2012/3/15 11:19
Iam a former Marine, that was station at Mt Fuji, if you were there send a e mail
by frank love (guest) rate this post as useful

SOUTH CAMP FUJI , 1954-1956 2012/7/9 04:20
Nice to hear from you guys. I was in Charlie Co. 1st Battalion 3rd Marines at South Camp Fuji 1954-56. I loved Fujioka's inhabitants and establishments. What a beatuiful time it was. Visited Gotemba, Tokyo, Yokohama etc. Also did some climbing on Fujiyama, but only with rifle and full gear, not fun. Neil N.
by NEIL NUSBAUM (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Location - USMC bases on Mt Fuji in 1958 2012/7/17 05:28
I was stationed at South Camp Fuji 1954 - 1955.
H&S Company,1st Battalion, 3rd Marines. I was assigned as a Radio Operator (2533). I was the only operator for the MARS Station at that time.
Call Sign in Japan was KA2EA. My US Call is W5IQS still doing "Ham Radio".
by Evan Roberts (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Camp Fuji 1972 2012/7/22 12:25
I was at camp hague from Sept.1972 til Nov.'72 in mike battery 4th batn 12th marines.Then in Nov. we boarded ship and went to Japan .We were on the LST USS Racine.We landed at numazu beach.We stayed behind when mike battery went back to oki.when lima came up we were absorbed into lima .we stayed til july 15 ,got back on ship and returned to Oki
by steve knickerbocker (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Location - USMC bases on Mt Fuji in 1958 2012/8/24 23:51
I was stationed at South Camp from late '55 to late '56. I was in Alpha Co. 1st Battalion 3rd Marines at South Camp Fuji 1955-56. I too have fond memories of Fujioka, the people and the establishments, especially the Condor Bar and the joints along Bamboo Alley. What a beautiful time it was. Visited Gotemba, Numazu & Yokohama but not Tokyo. A few of us got together and climbed Mt. Fuji on our own time. I still remember that sunrise(we just made it to the top in time to see it.

My barricks was north of Charlie Co. I say this because the word was that the three camps were named North, Middle, & South with respect to either their relative, North-South positions, up Mt. or distances from Mt. Fuji. If I am not mistaken, my barricks was across the road from the B.O.Q. and officers mess.

The only other thing that I remember that distinguished the three camps, at that time was that South camp was occupied by USMC troops and the highest command there was batalilon.

Middle Camp was occupied by USMC and some Army. The word was that regimental offices were there.

North Camp was a wider mix of service branches and higher brass fron each.
by Darwin Smith (Smitty) (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Location - USMC bases on Mt Fuji in 1958 2012/9/6 06:35
I was station at south camp Fuji from 1953,
until 1955.All three camps was located at
the base of mount Fuji,there was small hills
in places,the Japanese Goverment use to make
movies at of south camp.Out in the country
side,it has been a long time.Use to go to
Gotemba for liberty,and numazu,also Ofuna
on the way to Tokeyo,I hope I spelled it right.For you info[I am 79 years old now ]
Thank you all
Gysgt R.Morcilio Retired
by GySgt Raymond Morcilio Retired (guest) rate this post as useful

Re: Location - USMC bases on Mt Fuji in 1958 2012/9/21 13:50
I was stationed at Middle Camp Fuji when I arrived there in 1954 and assigned to 4.2 Mortars, 3rd Marines. After a time we were moved to North Camp which was, I was told, a POW camp. Not sure of that. There I met my old D.I. Sgt. Lozano. Nice guy, good Marine. I remember that just outside the main gate there was a little runway where small Marine Taylorcraft observer type aircraft would take off and land. Will never forget the typhoon which hit us while in the field exercise. Thought we'd never dry off. Would like to see it again. but that will not happen. Beautiful mountain, Fuji.
by Rich Bisetti (guest) rate this post as useful

Page 1 of 3: Posts 1 - 20 of 48

1 2 3
next

reply to this thread