Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to say a few things in Japanese 2009/1/9 08:03
Hey!

I'd be very grateful if you could tell me how to say the following expressions in Japanese:

- "Come help our guest" (when asking a relative to show some hospitality to a guest that just arrived).

- "Does it hurt?" (when treating wounds of another person)
- "Just a little".

- "Sorry! I apologize" (when applying too much pressure on a wound)
- "It's ok. Please continue".

Thank you! =)
by Satvic  

... 2009/1/9 18:37
- O-kyaku-sama wo o-mukae shimashou. ("Let's welcome our guests together." - This is assuming that the guests are just arriving, and you are inviting someone to come greet them together with you as they come in.)

- Itakunai desu ka? ("Doesn't it hurt?" in the sense of "Are you alright?" - So you might hear "Hai, daijoubu desu" (Yes, I'm OK) as an answer to this.)

- Sukoshi dake. ("Just a little")
- Chotto dake. ("Just a little")

- Gomennasai. ("Sorry.")
- Daijoubu desu. Tsudukete kudasai. ("It's ok. Please continue.")
by AK rate this post as useful

How to say a few things in Japanese 2009/1/10 07:09
Thank you so much!! You've made my day :)

Though that ''Come and help our guest'' expression - I meant it in another way: a senior family member (let's call him 'grandpa') enters his home with a guest, who is in fact wounded. While grandpa goes to get a medkit, he asks a minor family member to help the wounded guest (in any way possible). So the 'help' here means actual help, not just a warm welcome.

Please let me know if this expression should be different from ''O-kyaku-sama wo o-mukae shimashou'', cause this is kinda important :) With this I can finalize a month's worth of creative work.

Thank you once again!
by Satvic rate this post as useful

... 2009/1/10 11:22
Oh, then it has to be completely different - and the part about providing medical help would have to be specifically in it.
- Teate wo tetsudatte kudasai. (Please assist me in providing medical help.)

In this case I skipped the "the guest" part, because this is obvious.

BTW, if it's supposed to be a story and you need dialogues translated, you need to specify who it is that is talking to who, because the sentences I've been giving you are polite speech, but if a senior person is talking to juniors it would be in a different tone.
by AK (guest) rate this post as useful

How to say a few things in Japanese 2009/1/10 15:33
It is a story indeed. But it is intended for a reader whose Japanese skills are... almost none :) Thus even "Teate wo tetsudatte kudasai" would do fine, I guess. I needed the actual Japanese expressions to make the story look more real. Now it will. Thanks to you, AK!

Domo arigato =)
by Satvic rate this post as useful

reply to this thread