Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Postal Code 2009/3/6 15:07
Someone already sent me the postal code for this but unfortunately I deleted it by accident. If you would be kind enough to help me once more, I would appreciate it. I need a postal code for Hiratukashi shiushuku kanagawaken Japan. Thank You
by Richard F  

... 2009/3/6 16:00
Richard,

You can't have deleted it, it's right here :)

http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+6...
by AK rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/6 16:10
My guess is that the address should be as follows:

[NAME]
[BLOCK-NUMBER] Sengencho
Hiratsuka-shi
Kanagawa-ken
254-0041

With 254-0041 being the postal code.

But I am not sure.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/6 16:11
I believe that Hiratsuka-Shinjuku became Sengencho.

Postal Code 2009/3/7 02:08
Thank You, AK & Uji
by Richard F rate this post as useful

postal code 2009/3/7 10:32
by cc (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/7 10:38
cc, could you explain to me why you think the district's name is Hiratsuka and not Sengencho? Just wondering...

to Uji 2009/3/7 11:02
the address is taken off of an envelope dated 1961. The return address is as follows: No 950 Hiratukashi Shiushuku Kanagawaken (Suda Kata) Japan

postal code 2009/3/7 12:55
if I'm not mistaken I'm reading address given as Hiratsuka-shi which is in Kanagawa-ken.

poster's
No 950 Hiratukashi Shiushuku Kanagawaken (Suda Kata) Japan

Not sure about 'Shiushu' and what this mean by 'suda kata' names given by poster here but it should read as follow as I see it.
#950 (is there street name?)
Shiushu-ku
Hiratsuka-shi, Kanagawa-ken
Japan (postal code here)

... 2009/3/7 13:49
I think Uji is right. The closest area name I can read off the address given by the original poster is: 950 Hiratsuka-shinjuku, Hiratuka-shi, Kanagawa-ken," possibly with "c/o Suda." (For your information, "-shi" is City, and "-ken" is Prefecture, Richard.)

Initially I could not figure out the "Shiushuku" part either - but there is no "-ku" (ward) by that name in this city. And considering that maybe in handwritten address "u" and "n" can easily be confused, and the kanji for "juku" is also read "shuku," I think it's likely that the old address was Hiratsuka-shinjuku, HIratsuka city.

And in 1972 or so that city's address identification system was changed so that what used to be Hiratsuka-shinjuku is now called Sengen-cho. And the postal code for Sengen-cho now is as given by Uji.
by AK rate this post as useful

CC & AK 2009/3/7 13:59
thank you for all the info.

now my research is starting to make sense. I really apperciate all the help and so does the elderly woman I am doing this for. She is originally from Kobe but left in 1950 and has not heard from anyone in her family since 1961--- the address we started with. Hopefully we will be able to do something now--- thanks

postal code 2009/3/7 15:39
----I think it's likely that the old address was Hiratsuka-shinjuku, HIratsuka city-------.

AK you're right, thanks for refreshing my conscience...it is confusing because there is Hiratsuka, Hiratsuka-shi

so then the address will be as Uji noted:
Mr or Mrs.....
950 Sengen-cho
Hiratsuka-shi, Kanagawa-ken
Japan 254-0041

suda kata must be the name (sir name) but unusual one ..could be how it was spelled in English that complicates it, I'm still trying to figure out that one but I'm sure the person who had this address must know the name.

reply to this thread