Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Organized Tour or Free and Easy in Tokyo 2009/3/9 17:13
Need advise as to what travel pass will I need for my visit to Tokyo from 4 April to 11 April? I am planning on touring Nikko and Mt Fuji. Which is the best day fo the week to go? For Nikko, it is worthwhile to stay overnight? Faster to join an organised tour or free and easy.
by Helen (guest)  

... 2009/3/9 19:11
You should find YOUR OWN decision by reading this website.

In conclusion, I will vote for an independent tour by myself.
by Ts (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/9 19:32
If you are just traveling around greater Tokyo and surrounding areas (in other words, not going to Kyoto/Osaka, Nara, Hiroshima, etc.) then it's not worth getting any Japan Rail Pass, if that's what you are asking :)

For Nikko, if you like hot springs, I'd say it's worth staying overnight. If not, and if you just want to tour the temples/shrines, and see the famous waterfalls, you could do that in a day trip from Tokyo as well.

Generally for Tokyo, I don't think you would really need an organized tour - you can read the Travel section of this website and plan your days in Tokyo. Enjoy planning!
by AK rate this post as useful

How to travel from Nikko to Hakone? 2009/3/10 11:09
Hi, thank you for the reply to my previous question. May I know how do I get from Nikko to Hakone without going back to Tokyo?
by Helen (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/3/10 11:20
Helen,

You need to go through Tokyo in any case. Nikko is one hour to the north of Tokyo, and Hakone is about one hour to the west, in completely different directions, so there is no way around it.

Please check the Travel section of this website:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3805.html
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html
by AK rate this post as useful

Depends 2009/3/10 11:35
Depending on your budget, and how much you really want to do alone, I'd suggest to look into the day tours to Nikko and Hakone: they aren't cheap, but would make for 2 easier days, with lunch included. We haven't done either tour, but resident family have strongly recommended them for time and effort-saving. If you were to stay in Nikko then you need to consider the time taken in checking in and out of hotels and the hassle of carting luggage etc for 1 night.
That would leave you free to research and then explore Tokyo itself and have a more relaxing time.
But it really depends on what you feel up to doing....personal choice.
PS A JR pass definitely would not pay off, as has been posted already.
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread