Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Narita to Iwakuni 2009/7/26 04:37
I want to travel from Narita airport to Iwakuni. What is the best procedure? I would like to take the Nozomi but cannot seem to find an actual fare
by par1  

... 2009/7/26 16:38
If you want to take the nozomi, you should first take the Narita Express from the airport to Tokyo (Tokyo or Shinagawa Station) and then a nozomi to Hiroshima. From Hiroshima, you can take either a kodama shinkansen or local train to nearby Iwakuni:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6176.html

An alternative approach would be by air from Narita Airport to Hiroshima Airport. There is one direct flight from Narita per day.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Narita to Iwakuni 2009/7/26 20:43
Do I need to get the tickets here in the U.S? and how do I find out how much the train is and how long the trip will take. Do I need to change trains? If so, how many times before Hiroshima? The websites I looked at were really confusing!
by par1 rate this post as useful

... 2009/7/26 21:30
Do I need to get the tickets here in the U.S?

No, you can buy them after arriving in Japan.

and how do I find out how much the train is and how long the trip will take.

By train it takes about 6-7 hours and costs around 21,000 yen one way.

Do I need to change trains? If so, how many times before Hiroshima?

Yes, twice. Once at Tokyo or Shinagawa Station. And a second time in Hiroshima. If you use a Japan Rail Pass, a third transfer is necessary at Shin-Osaka Station.

Narita to Iwakuni 2009/7/26 21:41
What is the time and money difference between the Nozomi and the JR?

... 2009/7/26 21:47
Nozomi trains are also JR train! You just cannot use them with the Japan Rail Pass. But you can use hikari trains instead, which take about 30-60 minutes longer.

Narita to Iwakuni 2009/7/26 21:56
Thanks!

Hyperdia 2009/7/26 22:16
http://www.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

you can use this website to get detailed information. Type in Narita Airport and Iwakuni and then set your conditions (maybe uncheck the airline box)
by Georg (guest) rate this post as useful

Stations 2009/7/26 23:49
Your options include:
- Hiroshima Sta. to ShinIwakuni Sta., via Shinkansen Kodama
- Hiroshima Sta. to Iwakuni Sta., via San'yo (Main) Line
There is no direct JR route between ShinIwakuni Sta. and Iwakuni Sta.
For details, see the japan-guide.com page linked to by Uji.

Shinagawa Sta. sounds better for changing trains from a Narita Express to a Shinkansen. (The two tracks are located near.)
If you change trains at Tokyo Sta., the required time is estimated at 25 minutes or more, because you have to go upstairs from the fifth basement and advance along a long pathway.

//

by omotenashi rate this post as useful

Narita to Iwakuni 2009/7/27 02:58
Thanks. For all that I think I am going to pay the extra and fly directly into Hiroshima. By the time all is done I would only be saving myself about $100. Not enough to schlep my suitcase through the train station.

... 2009/7/27 08:05
Note that there is only one direct flight from Narita to Hiroshima per day. Currently it leaves at 17:25. There are a lot more flights leaving from Tokyo's second airport, Haneda Airport, but that airport is a 90 minute bus ride away from Narita.

reply to this thread