Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Advice during Obon travel 2009/7/30 14:26
I unfortunately booked to travel to Japan between Aug 13-18 and I know it is a bad time to travel the country.

With someone with no knowledge of the language and contacts, is visiting Kyoto for 2 nights reasonable? and traveling from North to South or East to West Kyoto time consuming or expensive?
by beatsfordays (guest)  

... 2009/7/30 15:53
With someone with no knowledge of the language and contacts, is visiting Kyoto for 2 nights reasonable?

Certainly. Hundreds of thousands of foreign tourists do it ever year.

and traveling from North to South or East to West Kyoto time consuming or expensive.

Yes, it can be time consuming, but does not have to be expensive.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Kyoto and Obon 2009/8/3 01:22
Hi, travelling in Japan in Obon is not impossible but you need to be prepared. You should get ALL your accommodation booked up before you go or you will have a depressing time trudging from hotel to hotel trying to find a bed, especially in Kyoto. I would suggest longer than 2 nights in Kyoto - remember 2 nights only gives you 1 full day - not enough for all Kyoto has to offer! Get yourself a Green rail pass too as you will have no problem getting seats; ordinary class cars get full very quickly in Obon. You might want to think about getting a travel company to sort your accommodation if you have not already - check the ads on the top/sides of these pages. Good luck!
by Top Tonkatsu rate this post as useful

reply to this thread