Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Karuizawa Dec14 2009/8/6 14:39
Hi,
My husband and I (in our fifties) were thinking of visiting Karuizawa between Dec14 Mon - Dec17Thur.

We dont ski and simply want to relax in a nice hotel, Do a bit of strolling and visit the shops. The Kyu Karuizawa hotel looked quite nice from the website and the price is within our range.

Is Karuizawa like a ghost town during the period we wish to visit? If practically all the shops are closed, then it may be pointless visiting the place. We are hoping to get some real snowflakes even if we dont ski.

If most of the eating outlets are closed, then we definitely have to include dinner at the hotel. Was hoping to see a little instead of dining in during the 3 nights. We chose KyuKaruizawa because the deluxe room looks spacious and the hotel seems like a conducive place to relax and read. Hope the communal bath is real onsen water.

I have been to Hakone but hubby hasnt. Thought it would be too cold to do the railway, ropeway thingey during that time.

Another option was Kinugawa onsen but not sure if its too cold to be visiting Tobu World Square. Also couldnt find a ryokan that wasnt too touristy.

Any advice is welcome. We have visited japan several times and just love the service, food and hotsprings. Thought we would try a new place for a change.
by EL (guest)  

Karuizawa in December 2009/8/6 21:13
EL,

I'm not sure why you say that the Hakone circular route will be too cold, but note that Karuizawa will also be pretty chilly in December.
The town itself is quieter in winter, but the outlet shopping centre between the station and the Prince Hotel and ski resort complex is interesting enough to spend maybe half a day shopping if that's your thing. I think December is still rather early for skiing in Karuizawa, so it could be fairly quiet.
by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

Karuizawa 2009/8/6 22:39
Hi dave,
Thanks for the response.

What I meant was that in Hakone, it would mean alot of outdoors to do the "circuit" on the rail, ropeway etc.

In Karuizawa, all we need are some short strolls and window shopping. If the Karuizawa ginza shopping street and Prince Shopping Pz stores are open, we can take short breaks from the hotel and just browse. Our intention is simply to relax and have an easy time, reading and good food. The Kyu Karuizawa deluxe room looks nice and spacious at an affordable price. Its probably going to be chilly too but we will be indoors most of the time if the shops are open. Actually we are more interested in the food outlets rather than the expensive boutiques since it will be nice to have an alternative to our meals instead of being confined to the hotel.

Quiet is fine with us as we hate crowds. But if many of the shops and eating outlets are closed, then we will reconsider.

When I compared the accomodation prices and what we are looking for, Hakone was more expensive and if we are not interested in doing the ropeway thingey in the cold, it may defeat our purpose of going there.
by EL (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread