Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How to travel to Mount Aso from Beppu? 2009/8/9 12:22
Hi, I would like to travel to Mount Aso from Beppu and back. I will have JapanRail Pass. I understand I'd take the train, then a bus then a cablecar??? But I would just like some more information on this and how long the trip would take. Is it suitable for a daytrip?
by linglingling  

... 2009/8/9 14:09
I would like to travel to Mount Aso from Beppu and back. I will have JapanRail Pass. I understand I'd take the train, then a bus then a cablecar?

Yes, that is right.

But I would just like some more information on this and how long the trip would take.

The train ride from Beppu to Aso Station takes 145 minutes one way by direct limited express train. Considerably longer by infrequent local trains. Transportation from Aso Station to the mountain is explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4552.html

The bus timetable is explained here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/forum/quereadisplay.html?0+6...

Is it suitable for a daytrip?

It can be done, if you do not mind spending almost 8 hours on trains and buses.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Use the best trains 2009/8/9 16:07
The Limited Express Kyushu Odan Express each way.
0752-1017 Beppu-Aso
1142-1340 " "
1546-1739 Aso-Beppu
1847-2042 " "
You get about 5 hours at Aso which is probably too much but will give you a chance to do some walking.
by RodW rate this post as useful

... 2009/8/9 16:34
I am also planning a trip from Beppu to Mt Aso and then on to Kumamoto. I'm wondering if a SunQ bus pass (3 day, Northern Kyusu) might be more economical.
I will have a JR Railpass but find most of Kyushu isn't well served by JR. Any advice would be wonderful.
by Annie D (guest) rate this post as useful

Aso info 2009/8/9 22:51
To Linglingling,

When you get to Aso station, a bus will take you up to a cablecar station (~45 minutes). At the cable car station, I'd recommend you walk up to the crater (~15-20 mintues along a road), rather than spend the money for a 5 min cablecar ride. This will also let you get some air and there's another path through Suna senri that you can walk for some different views.

To Annie D,

If you're on a JR pass while in Kyushu, then the Sun Q North pass doesn't pay off at all. It serves most of the same places as JR does (aside from Shimabara peninsula).

In terms of your itinerary, you should take a Ltd Express from Beppu to Aso as there are fewer trains directly between the two places. However, from Aso to Kumamoto, there is local service aside from Limited express trains. For example, there's an hourly local train from Aso to Higooza and then trains from Higooza to Kumamoto leave every 1/2 hr. Local trains will only cost you an extra 15 minutes or so.

On my trip, I travelled from Fukuoka to Nagasaki to Kumamoto to Aso to Beppu and back to Fukuoka on JR pass without any issues. Check Hyperdia for schedules:

http://grace.hyperdia.com/cgi-english/hyperWeb.cgi

-mike
by mike (guest) rate this post as useful

Cheers 2009/8/10 23:04
Thank you so much guys! I knew I could count on you all :P
by linglingling rate this post as useful

reply to this thread