Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto tour guide Jonny Hillwalker? 2009/9/7 08:46
Has anyone taken the 5 hour Kyoto walking tour with Johnny Hillwalker? do you recommend it? Is there ay tour of just the Higashiyama area of Kyoto? Thank you.
by lucky deborah  

Heard its good 2009/9/7 12:23
Hi there,
We just got back from 11 days in Japan and came across an American who did the tour. He said it was a LONG tour but still a nice tour.
by meandher (guest) rate this post as useful

LP Book and legs 2009/9/7 16:14
Having walked Higashiyama from end to end a couple of times I'd recommend walking it at YOUR own pace, with a guide book like Lonely PLanet
by fmj rate this post as useful

highly recommend 2009/9/8 09:01
I took the J. Hillwalker tour when I was in Kyoto in March 2006. I found it very informative particularly about history and life in Kyoto. It went to smaller places not usually known to the ordinary tourist for the most part. Yes, it was a long day and I was jetlagged having come from NYC the previous evening. There are stops for snacks and toilet facilities along the way. I highly recommend it unless your time in Kyoto is very short - I was there for a week.
by Maranyc rate this post as useful

we went in 2007 2009/9/8 13:35
We went on the Johnny Hillwalker tour in 2007 and we enjoyed it. There is alot of walking involved but you take many breaks along the way so the time flew fast. They do provide a very small snack but I would recommend bringing something to go with you.

I've been to Kyoto a few times and this was my first with Johnny. I agree with the other poster that it is quite neat as you get to see the back streets and not-so-touristy areas on the tour such as the original Nintendo factory and also a Heritage Tea House.

The tour ends in the early evening in front of Kiyomizu Dera so you still have a couple of hours to enjoy the temple which I highly recommend especially during the cherry blossom season and leaves turning color.
by beach (guest) rate this post as useful

April 2009 2009/9/8 18:48
We did the tour in April and it was fantastic. I really hate walking and was a little dubious, but covered the course easily (it's all flat - no hills or stairs).
We did not have Johnny as our tour guide and also felt a little ripped off at the start, but the young guy who guided us was, I can imagine, every bit as good as Johnny. Johnny is aparently winding down to retirement.
My recommendation would be to take the tour!!
by Tom O'Dachi (guest) rate this post as useful

Johnny retiring 2009/9/9 05:41
When we took the tour in 2007 Johnny was taking cat naps on the sidewalk while we shopped in some stores so I can imagine that he's getting tired these days!
by beach (guest) rate this post as useful

really nice guy 2010/5/4 20:34
i did jonnys tour on my fist full day in kyoto, he was very kind and the tour was informative and very beautiful, not too harder walk, if you get thirsty theres plenty of drink machines around . it really helped me get my bearings in the city and id recommend it to anyone, good value aswell!!!
by flipside666 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread