Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kiso Valley from Nagoya Intl Airpt 2009/9/15 12:06
Hi
We are arriving on 3rd Nov at 815am at Nagoya Intl airport. We try to cover Kiso valley on the first day and do an overnite either on Magome / Tsumago side. However, due to the irregular buses, we find it hard to ascertain whether we can make it within day 1.
Seek advise
1) whether we can make it by driving from Nagoya Airport? If so, which is the best way to cover, and still be able to catch the buses back to either Magome or Tsumago for overnite?
2) Whether we should takkyu bin our lugguages and train to Nakatsugawa, bus to Magome and start walking and hv overnite at Tsumago?
3) Or other suggestion

4) Jorudan prompted bus, Meitetsu train and to Shinano train to either Nakatsugawa / Nagiso. But Hyperdia prompted bus to Nagoya and change to Shinano JR Train. Can anyone advise which is better route or Which is a better / manageable connection?

5) Reference to Toyoko Inn in shinjuku. Which is the best way to travel to hotel from Tokyo Station, Shinjuku station and Narita Airport?

Thanks

W rgds
adeline
by Adeline (guest)  

. 2009/9/16 08:10
Well, if it's any help we've gone the other way, Kiso Valley down - a simple ride by train to Nagoya. We stayed in Magome-chaya inn for 2 days and did the Edo road walk (best done from Magome, less climbing).
Highly recommended.
by yeshekathy rate this post as useful

Varies 2009/9/16 10:22
The timetables will give you different options for different times. Usually the fastest but not always the most convenient.
Stick to:- bus to Nagoya and train from there. My opinion, take the train to Nagiso. That is as close to the walking trail as a train will get you. You could maybe stay the night there and leave your luggage then do the walk. You have the option of taking your luggage to Tsumago, stay the night or transfer it to Magome. There is a service that does that. You could forward it from the airport to your prebooked overnight stay but it will not come until the following day so you will need an overnight bag.
If you walk Tsumago to Magome ( I have ) you can try for a bus back ( good luck). Take a bus to Nakatsugawa and train back to Nagiso or just take a cab back Tsumago or Nagiso. It's not that far and will not cost the earth...you just walked it after all :-)

http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00078/index.html shows a map with location from Shinjuku station. It is a cab ride, not a walk with luggage.
There are 21 direct services by NEX from Narita Airport to Shinjuku each day. When searching the schedule just change the TIMES if you do not get it up on the first attempt. Once you have one up ( any time ) just click on the clock/book symbol ( HYPERDIA ) and it will give you the entire day.
by RodW rate this post as useful

thxs!... wat about 3rd / 4th Nov? 2009/9/17 11:57
Thanks Rod.

Thats a gd alternative angle!:)

Anyone can furthere advise on :

1) The estimated taxi fare between Tsumago and Magome?

2) I wil be there either on the 3rd or 4th Nov. As i note that 3rd is festival day in Tsumago and also a public holiday in japan, are the stores open as usual on 3rd & 4th?
It helps to decide whether to make it to Tsumago on the 3rd Nov!

thanks again :))

W rgds
adeline

by adeline (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/19 09:53
I don't see a time problem. If you arrive around 8am, you should be able to access the Kiso Valley, see one of the two towns on day 1, stay overnight there and see the second town on the second day.

Assuming you are continuing to Tokyo afterwards, your schedule could look as follows:

day 1:
08:15 arrive in Nagoya
around 10:00 take trains via Nagoya to Nagiso
around 12:30 take a taxi or bus to nearby Tsumago
from around 13:00 see Tsumago and overnight there

day 2:
walk to Magome or go there by taxi bus or a combination of taxi, bus and train.
see Magome
in the afternoon, travel via Nagoya to Tokyo
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/19 09:55
a public holiday in japan, are the stores open as usual on 3rd & 4th?

Yes, certainly! But accommodation could pose a problem. I recommend to make reservations as soon as possible.

... 2009/9/19 09:57
A taxi ride between Tsumago and Magome costs around 2700 to 3500 yen.

... 2009/9/20 02:50
Hi uji
thanks for the comments.

But actually i was trying to complete the Tsumago to Magome trail on my arrival day. Thats why Im trying to prepare all the possible alternatives to make it to Nagiso latest by 1221. If i can reach there by then, i shld be able to walk the trail. The worst scenario is to catch a cab from magome back to tsumago.

U think we can achieve than with arrival to Nagoya airport at 815am?

Is there a bus from airport to JR nagoya? Airport customer service emailed and said there is no such servvice and ask us to take the Meitetsu train. I cant recall how long i need to walk fr Meitetsu train to JR nagoya the last time...

Any advice on the best connection route to reach Nagiso latest by 1221pm,,,, the train connection from Nagatsugawa to Nagiso on 4th Nov.

Ya, i hv already booked my lodging in tsumago :))

Im heading to Matsumoto after Kiso valley... not heading to Tokyo untill 17th Nov....
we are travelling around central honshu before heading to tokyo...

thanks for my advice :))

W rgds
adeline

... 2009/9/20 07:06
Then, I recommend to go to Magome first, see Magome and do the walk. There is not too much to see in Magome. 1-2 hours should be enough unless you want to see it in great detail. The walk takes 2-3 hours. So, if you arrive in Magome around 12:30, you should be able to reach Tsumago by 5pm.

which bus stop? 2009/9/26 23:51
Hi

I read in this website that there are quite a few bus stops in Tsumago.
http://www.janis.or.jp/users/chojiya/ootsumagochizu.htm

http://www.janis.or.jp/users/chojiya/tsumagochizu.htm

ANyone can advise,

1)which bus stop to alight if staying in SHIMO-SAGAYA (Tsumago-juku)?

2) which bus stop to alight if staying in {?

3) Anyone stayed in either one bfore on comments? Which is more easy to find? I think fr map is {.

4) Are all the bus stops pick passengers to Magome , as per the bus schedule for the Nagiso - Tsumago - Magome route?

Thanks

W rgds
adeline

... 2009/9/27 07:46
If you stay in central Tsumago, I recommend to get off at Tsumago bus stop. If your bus also stops at Tsumagobashi, it is even closer to the Shimo Sagaya.

.. 2009/9/27 19:29
Dear Uji

Is Tsumagobashi the bus stop that states as?

Thanks

W rgds
adeline

Shimosagaya 2009/9/28 22:05
I am also visiting Tsumago in Nov. May I ask how did you book Shimosagaya? and the rate please.
by Wai (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/9/28 23:43
Hi wai

I booked through japanese guesthouse.
It is at Y8300 which does not include tax amount. After tax, i think is about Y8700 per person.

:))

Thank you 2009/9/29 06:41
Thanks Adeline!
by Wai (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/1 19:21
Tsumagobashi = ċ

.. 2009/10/1 21:50
thanks Uji... dint realise the text was truncated! :)

reply to this thread