Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Matsushima: Cruise & Food Questions 2009/10/15 00:34
Hi,

We are going to Matsushima.

Need recommendations on the best/better cruise company to take.

Any recommendations on the best place to go for oysters or is it a common item that we can safely pop into any restaurant for a good feast?

Where can we go to have dinner & view sunset at Matsushima?

Thanks!
by LocoLoco (guest)  

... 2009/10/15 06:55
Need recommendations on the best/better cruise company to take.

The routes offered vary slightly between the companies. But apart from that they are all the same "faceless" mass tourism organizations.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Other recommendations 2009/10/15 14:04
Hi Uji,

We thought cruise around the isles is an essential part of visiting Matsushima.

What would you recommend instead for a good tour in Matsushima? We are game for off-beaten routes.

Thanks!

by LocoLoco (guest) rate this post as useful

About Matsushima 2009/10/15 16:26
I think Matsushima is one of the most beautiful place in Japan.
It's better for you to visit Matsushima when you are in Japan.

Until 11/23,you can enjoy cruise at night on this ship!

http://www.marubun-kisen.com/home.html

When you get off the train and walk to the coast side,you can see so many restaurants along the big street.

You can have not only oyster but also very fresh fish!

Wherever you are,you can see the beautiful sunset in Matsushima.

Did you chesk this page already?

http://www.matsushima-kanko.com/en/index.html

Have a good trip!
by Nuts (guest) rate this post as useful

.... 2009/10/15 18:48
Thank you Nuts this is a great link
by fmj rate this post as useful

... 2009/10/16 05:49
I am not suggesting that you should not take a boat. Just saying that there are no big differences between the companies.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2009/10/16 09:12
Hi Uji,

Thanks. Sorry for misunderstanding. Will definitely take the cruise then.

Hi Nuts,

Thanks too. I did go to the site and saw so many restaurants etc at the shoplist (with google translate) that my mind went "boing boing boing". So wanted some personal recommendations :)

Thanks all! Think we will have a great time cruising and feasting at Matsushima!

MATSUSHIMA 2009/10/16 13:35
Hi Loco,

We visited Matsushima this May.
Took a train from SENDAI to HON-SHIOGAMA ,and then the cruise to MATSUSHIMA KAIGAN. If you miss HON-SHIOGAMA station you can take the return cruise from MATSUSHIMA KAIGAN. See the link: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5105.html

In our opinion the cruise is overrated. So do not have too high of an expectation , you might be disappointed. My recommendation is the grilled oyster!! Do not miss it !

Enjoy the trip!
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

"Kakigoya (Oyster cabin)" Matsushima. 2009/10/16 14:22
"Beside beautiful scenery that also impressed Basho, “Matsushima Kaki (Oyster)” gives you another, and rather contrasting in a way, deep impression. The season of these oysters is from October to March, and “Kakigoya (Oyster cabin)” opens in this season only. It offers All-you-can-eat oysters at 2,000 yen (adult in 45 min.) and 3,000 yen (adult in 60 min.) There are full shell oysters on a 1 square meter iron plate. Escallop (steam and roast) these oysters are cooked without using any seasoning, saltiness from the seawater is the only flavor. Its unique elastic texture is also enjoyable. Eat oysters while enjoying an interesting conversation with the waiter while he peels the cooked oyster from its shell and serves you one after another."

Would appreciate if anyone could advise the address of this restaurant.
by inge (guest) rate this post as useful

かき小屋 2009/10/27 02:02
Hi inge

I'm not sure whether the following is the place you mention. It is called かき小屋 , it’s opened 11.00-14.00, mid Oct to Dec 24 and only weekends and holidays from Jan 5 to Mar 9 (2008). There are 2 choices, 2000 yen for all you can eat for 45 min or 3000 yen for 60 min with a bowl of oyster rice included. Enquiry phone no. is 0223-54-2618. If you are driving, phone no. for GPS is 0223-55-0022. From Matsushima-kaigan rail station, there is a 100 yen loop bus, get off at ホテル海風土 bus stop and walk 2 min. towards the shore. The place is not big, just a one-story white station-liked structure. Most probably you’ll recognize it by the huge pile of oyster shells next to it.
by William5 rate this post as useful

かき小屋 Kakigoya 2009/10/29 13:01
Hi William5,
Thanks for the info. I think that must be it.
by inge (guest) rate this post as useful

Oyster meals in Matsushima 2009/10/29 13:59
Hi,

Besides, the eat-all-you-can oyster buffet, are there recommendations where we can eat oysters meals (ie, oyster + rice + side dishes or oyster dishes) in Matsushima?

Cos we don't think we can handle just eating oysters alone.

Thanks!

oyster meal 2009/10/29 18:30
by William5 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread