Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido in February 2009/12/24 10:17
I visited Hokkaido early May this year ,and have plan to go back for the snow festival in Feb 2010.
I have never experienced being out in the snow for more than 1 hour, also then the temperature was well above 5C.
I have been told that winter time in Hokkaido temperature could be well below -10C. I would like to seek advice what type of clothing should I bring to prepare myself when visiting Sapporo, Saunkyo,and Abashiri.
We will be in Sapporo on 5th of Feb, and planning to stay 2 nights there, and have plan to visit Sounkyo,and Abashiri. We have 8 days in Hokkaido. Could anyone please recommend not to miss places during winter in Hokkaido? Also Would trains and buses run according to normal schedule?
by liem (guest)  

... 2009/12/24 17:32
We have 8 days in Hokkaido. Could anyone please recommend not to miss places during winter in Hokkaido?

If you already have Sapporo, Sounkyo and Abashiri on your schedule, I don't think you have much time to add more destinations.

It does not sound like you ski, but Hokkaido's ski resorts also offer many other snow related activities. That could be another thing to do.

Also Would trains and buses run according to normal schedule?

Yes.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Clothing 2009/12/24 20:43
You should wear :- thermal underwear which includes full length tights.......men also
Thermal socks as well as good quality regular socks.
Good quality leather shoes with some tread on the soles to prevent slipping. I wore Keen shoes on my last visit and they were great but any decent shoe should be ok
A reasonably thick shirt is a must. You can get away with thick denim jeans. Depending on how you are affected by cold a pullover or light weight windproof jacket should be considered.
A good quality ski jacket with a hood and a hat and gloves.
Sun glasses can also be an asset in bright snow.
You need to consider also that when you go indoors such as shopping or to eat you need to be able to peel that protective outer layer off quickly and easily.
You might look like this :-
http://outnabout.fotopic.net/p62584274.html
I certainly do :-)
by RodW rate this post as useful

slippery 2009/12/25 00:38
If you are not used to walking in snow, I think you should buy a nonslip equipment for your shoes. You can get it at airport, kiosk, pharmacy, and shoe shop. During the snow festival, many people come and walk around, and the street will freeze over...
by ... (guest) rate this post as useful

thank you 2009/12/27 18:20
Uji san, thank you for your advice as always. My stay in Hokkaido may be extended to 10 or 14 days.

Uji san, I will spend 1 or 2 nights in Sounkyo ,and very much like to see the fire work during my stay. Is it correct that they lit the firework only on weekend? Also any recommendation which onsen ryokan to stay? ( reasonable priced one)
Is there also firework in Sapporo during the ice festival?
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

thank you 2009/12/27 18:21
Rod, many thanks for your advice. I have now purchased a few items as suggested by you for my February trip. Also thank you for sharing your photos, and Hokkaido experiences. I will not miss the Abashiri trip, and would like to try the Yakiniku place ( was it in Abashiri ) if you remember the restaurant. Please also recommend onsen ryokan or any interesting places you had visited. I have now planned to extend my stay in Hokkaido to 10 or 14 days.

nonslip equipment for your shoes 2009/12/27 18:25
"If you are not used to walking in snow, I think you should buy a nonslip equipment for your shoes. You can get it at airport, kiosk, pharmacy, and shoe shop. During the snow festival, many people come and walk around, and the street will freeze over... "

Hi (guest),

Thank you for your suggestion. I will certainly remember this and look for them the moment I get there.

... 2009/12/27 19:54
The following page shows the calendar.
‰Ô‰Î means firework:
http://www.sounkyo.net/news/news.html

Firework calendar 2009/12/27 23:34
Thank you Uji san.
Unfortunately there was a problem with my computer, the display on the link was illegible:
EG.
2ŒŽ10“ú(…) 20:00 U•‘‚¢Žð¥ƒzƒbƒgƒhƒŠƒ“ƒN(ƒ^ƒrƒbƒNƒXƒWƒƒƒpƒ“’ñ‹Ÿ) 20:30 ‰Ô@‰ÎE–Ý‚Ü‚«(ƒ^ƒrƒbƒNƒXƒWƒƒƒpƒ“’ñ‹Ÿ)
2ŒŽ11“ú(–ØÕ) 20:00 ƒzƒbƒgƒ“EƒzƒbƒgƒhƒŠƒ“ƒN(knt’ñ‹Ÿ)
20:30 ‰Ô@‰Î(knt’ñ‹Ÿ)

I was guessing that 10 and 11 of Feb showed the firework display would be 20.00 to 20.30?
Please advise if this is correct.

Abashiri Restaurant 2009/12/28 07:35
Liem,in Abashiri we stayed at the Central Hotel. You will see it on this map
http://www.mapfan.com/en/en_m.cgi?MAP=E144.16.17.8N44.1.10.8&ZM=10
The restaurant that you asked about is in the same street as the hotel and on the left side as you walk towards the sea.It was set back a way and should be easy to find as there is not much at that end of town to choose from...very little in fact. I'm sorry but I just can't recall its exact location. It was quite a modern building as I recall.

http://www.sounkyo.net/news/news.html 2009/12/28 12:18
" 2ŒŽ10“ú(…) 20:00 U•‘‚¢Žð¥ƒzƒbƒgƒhƒŠƒ“ƒN(ƒ^ƒrƒbƒNƒXƒWƒƒƒpƒ“’ñ‹Ÿ) 20:30 ‰Ô@‰ÎE–Ý‚Ü‚«(ƒ^ƒrƒbƒNƒXƒWƒƒƒpƒ“’ñ‹Ÿ)
2ŒŽ11“ú(–ØÕ) 20:00 ƒzƒbƒgƒ“EƒzƒbƒgƒhƒŠƒ“ƒN(knt’ñ‹Ÿ)
20:30 ‰Ô@‰Î(knt’ñ‹Ÿ) "

Strange! The above came out as lots of squares on my screen initially?

ABASHIRI 2009/12/28 12:26
Again, thank you Rod !

I will be staying in Toyoko inn ,Abashiri. The restaurnat sounds like in the city main street ? knowing the size of the city, I am sure it would not be too hard to find the place .

New TOYOKO 2009/12/28 14:19
The Toyoko Inn must be a new one. It didn't exist when I was there February 2008.
One more thing Liem. If you go by train you must use the winter special. It is The Sea Ice Express/ Okhotsk No Kaze. Book early and ask for the very front or very back seat. It has beautiful big panoramic windows. It reverses direction at Engaru so either way you get to sit in the front for half the trip.
It has no food service on board but they come through and take orders for a bento box which is then delivered to the train at one of its stops.

... 2009/12/28 16:45
Just to confirm the firework dates in february:
5th
6th
7th
10th
11th
13th
14th
20th
21th
27th
28th

at 20:30

Thank you 2009/12/30 07:10
Again thank you Rod! I will take note of this and be sure to catch the right train.

AKAN-KO and MASHU-KO 2009/12/30 07:22
Thank you again Uji san.

We have now extended our visit to Akan-ko and Mashu-ko.
Could you please advise me how to get to those places by public transport from Abashiri ?

... 2009/12/31 07:57
Could you please advise me how to get to those places by public transport from Abashiri ?

There is a daily sightseeing bus that runs between Abashiri and Akanko via Mashuko:
http://www.akanbus.co.jp/sightse/w003.html

Apart from that bus, there is almost no public transportation to Mashuko. You could see the lake by taxi from Kawayu Onsen, which is a station along the railway line between Abashiri and Kushiro.

Akanko can be reached by bus from Kushiro, but there is no direct bus between Mashuko and Akanko (except the aboive mentioned sightseeing bus).

Akanko bus timetable 2010/1/18 13:06
''There is a daily sightseeing bus that runs between Abashiri and Akanko via Mashuko:
http://www.akanbus.co.jp/sightse/w003.html''

Dear Uji san,

Thank you again for your link.
My plan is now, after Abashiri, to visit Mashu ko, Kawayu Onsen, Akan ko, and Kushiro, and stay one night in each place. Please advise me if this is a good order?

Will the daily sightseeing bus stops at the above places? is there a 2 or 3 day passes I can purchase for my above trip?

I do not read Japanese, could you advise me the bus fares and timetable departing Abashiri on the 9/2/2010.

As always,
many thanks in advance.

... 2010/1/18 16:01
My plan is now, after Abashiri, to visit Mashu ko, Kawayu Onsen, Akan ko, and Kushiro, and stay one night in each place. Please advise me if this is a good order?

The sightseeing bus goes from Abashiri to Akanko. It makes sightseeing stops at Bihoro Pass, Lake Kussharo, Iozan and Mashuko.

From Akanko a regular bus service departs to Kushiro.

Will the daily sightseeing bus stops at the above places?

It passes Kawayu, but only makes a very brief stop for passengers to get on and off. Kushiro is not served by it.

is there a 2 or 3 day passes I can purchase for my above trip?>

No.

I do not read Japanese, could you advise me the bus fares and timetable departing Abashiri on the 9/2/2010

09:50 Abashiri
15:25 Akanko

Thank you 2010/2/1 20:46
Again, many thanks Uji san.

reply to this thread