Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Snow in April 2009/12/30 11:47
I am bringing my daugther to Tokyo in early April and would like to know where can i find snow during that period. I am not looking for a condition to ski but just to let my little girl to play on the snow.
by chloe (guest)  

Mt Takao 2010/1/3 20:41
Not really sure it there will be any snow near Tokyo in April. Maybe Mt Takao or the Okutama area would be the easier and closer areas that may have some snow left. Even if there is no snow, both are nice areas to visit.
by HNL Hawaiian (guest) rate this post as useful

April 2010/1/3 21:33
About 4 years ago, it snowed in Tokyo during the cherry blossom season. But that's a rare exception. Maybe you could find melting snow, which is like ice, within a 2 hour train ride from Tokyo. Otherwise, you'll have to go to Hokkaido. Or come between now and the beginning of Feb.
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

error 2010/1/3 21:35
I meant the beginning of March
by .... (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/1/4 08:00
There will be no snow anywhere in Tokyo Prefecture. You will have to head further north into the mountains of Nagano or Niigata Prefecture. Higher elevations of the ski resorts of Shiga Kogen, Hakuba, Nozawa Onsen and Yuzawa are likely to be still snow covered:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2262_resort.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Mt. Fuji 2010/1/4 08:05
This year there was still knee-deep snow around the Kawaguchi-ko 5th station of Mt. Fuji in early April. There are no guarantees that it will be the same this year, but it's possible.
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

snow in April 2010/4/17 00:48
well, If you're in Japan already you may be in luck as it's snowing right now in Gunma and have heard from friends in Tokyo it started to snow as well. VERY rare ;)
by purin (guest) rate this post as useful

snow in Tokyo in April 2010/4/17 08:46
Yes, it snowed here in west Tokyo as well last night, and at 9am there's still some on the ground. Who would have thought that the answer to the original question would be "right in Tokyo"? Yesterday was the coldest April day for 50 years though, so I imagine snow this late is kind of record setting too. Now I wish it would warm up!
by Sira (guest) rate this post as useful

snow! 2010/4/17 09:28
Yeah, we got like 20 cm last night here in Kawaguchiko! Now the sun is out and the skies are blue, maybe some good views of Fuji-san today. I think the snow will melt soon, but what a surpirse this morning! Today is supposed to be the opening day for Shibazakura flower park, hope the flowers are doing all right. There is a current pic on their website:
http://www.shibazakura.jp/ (only snow!)
The cherry trees that are starting to bloom are all covered in snow too. wow.
by fujigirl (guest) rate this post as useful

Snow in Hakone as well. 2010/4/17 20:29
We had snow in Hakone yesterday as well. Super awesome, given that I come from a tropical country and never played in snow. Then I realised that I was not dressed for snow and was soon soaked. Bleah...

Rushed up to Owukadani again this morning to try to catch a glimpse of Fuji-san if possible, but alas, despite the clear bright blue sky around Miyanoshita, the summit was shrouded with mist.
by Lucifer_Light (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread