Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I Want To Go To High School In Japan? 2009/12/30 21:29
I want to move to japan for high school, Im in the 8th grade and plan on going for the 11th grade. I have a few questions, I am going to end up living in an apartment and spending alot of money for food, cloths(uniforms), etc.
1. How much money will i need?
2. How can I raise enough money to live in japan and go to school in japan for 1 school year?
3. What sites can I use to learn japanese?
4. What site can I use to Learn the Hiragana, Katakanna, Kanji etc.
5. Am I crazy? ( My parents think so, but that wont stop me!!!)
P.S I know the math, studys, etc will be way harder than here in america, what can i use to get me read? sites? books? any thing!
by Kayla Sasori  

living in Japan 2009/12/31 16:25
1. How much money will i need?

(Answer)A cheap studio apartment in rural areas run about $500 american per month, not counting utilities like heat, water, garbage, phone, internet, security deposits, etc.

Overall, you will probably need an income of about $1000 US, or 100,000 yen, per month, to be considered lower-income.

2. How can I raise enough money to live in japan and go to school in japan for 1 school year?

(Answer)Job, but your too young to work in most places.

3. What sites can I use to learn japanese?

(Answer)Learning japanese off a website is a bad idea, it will only help you to develop bad linguistic habits, and improper usage of words.

4. What site can I use to Learn the Hiragana, Katakanna, Kanji etc.

(Answer)Don't worry about Kanji for a good while, but for Hiragana and katakana, just do a "google image search" for "hiragana/katakana chart" and thats all you need.

5. Am I crazy? ( My parents think so, but that wont stop me!!!)

(Answer)Yes, high schools usually require excellent exam scores to be accepted (like going to college), not to mention you need a special visa to be a student, and your parents would have to live in Japan as well (no un-accompanied minors)

P.S I know the math, studys, etc will be way harder than here in america, what can i use to get me ready? sites? books? any thing!

(Answer)Forget your social life, because the only thing that will help you is hours and hours of studying.

The intense studying that Japanese students have to do is one of the main reasons why Japan has the 7th highest teen suicide rate, and the 9th overall suicide rate, on Earth.

+++++
If you really want to go to Japan, i suggest starting off by getting good grades in High School in the USA, by the time you are 16 or 17, if you have a B average, most community colleges will let you take classes with them, that not only count for high school credit, but also college credit at the same time.

(so instead of taking Sophmore English in high school, you take it at the comm. college, and you knock out your Soph. Eng. class, for your HS, and a general english class for that college at the same time.)

While your at that comm. college, you can probably find a good Intro. to Japanese class, and later, when you graduate HS, you can use college scholarships and grants to pay for study abroad programs offered by your college.
by bergeron rate this post as useful

Yes, Your Parents Is Right 2009/12/31 16:27
kayla,

Japan high schooler don't have the time to work part time. High schooler must study diligently to pass the exams but more IMPORTANTLY, Japanese high schooler's sole goal is to be accepted by a top tier university. If he isn't accepted, his future is very limited in Japan. And, you, definitely will not have the time to work while attending Japanese high school - you will be busy learning to write, read, and speak Japanese as good as the natives,... other wise how can you get a good grade in Japan without HAVING the language skills... Japanese school teach in Japanese language, not in English Kayla.

First of all Kayla, you have to pass the mandatory exams in Japanese language to get an admission to high school in Japan. Truth is you will not PASS the exams. Japanese you have learned to this date and 3 or 4 more years pf Japanese learning is not GOOD ENOUGH.

Kayla, I know you want to go to Japan... so let me explain how you can do it. And, I am sure your parents will agree to this... You say to your parents, "Dad and Mom, I make a deal with you. Can I go to Japan in my 11th grade if I get solid SAT scores?" Yep, that's how I went to Japan as a exchange student in my senior year of high school.

I can see you in Japan.....
by stanfordgal rate this post as useful

reply to this thread