Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

15 days in Japan 2010/2/23 19:19
Hi, i be visiting Japan between 24th Mar (08:00,Fukuoka) to 8th Apr (11:30,Narita)

This is my first trip to Japan and i like to visit places,like Nagasaki,Bepppu,Kobe,Nara,Kyoto,Osaka,Nagoya,Yokohama and finally Tokyo.

Im intending to visit a few more popular spots in each area and deciding to visit Disneyland and Universal studio.

Am i being too ambitious?
Is there anyone could guide me in planning my duration or maybe using this route before in visiting japan?
Is Universal studio worth the visit?

Thanks alot..
by Kiokuharu  

... 2010/2/24 07:28
Am i being too ambitious?

No, it should be doable at a medium-fast pace of travel. If you prefer a slow pace, then it would be to much.

For example:
24: Fukuoka to Nagasaki
25: Nagasaki
26: Nagasaki to Beppu
27: Beppu to Kobe
28: Kobe and Osaka
29: Universal Studio (crowded due to school holidays)
30: Kyoto
31: Kyoto
01: Kyoto
02: Nara
03: Kyoto to Tokyo via Nagoya
04: Tokyo
05: Yokohama
06: Disney
07: Tokyo
08: Narita

But it depends on your personal interests. For example, if you are more interested in shopping than history, you might want to reduce time in Kyoto and add it to Osaka.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks.. 2010/2/24 20:03
Hi Uji, Thanks for your recommendations.I had also send u a private message to ask more information.

Btw, anyone knows where will be a good view to see mount fuji, should i go to mount fuji it self too? I heard there is a tour for mount Fuji too,anyone know the cost?
by Kiokuharu rate this post as useful

... 2010/2/25 02:02
Sorry, I don't answer questions privately. Please post them to the forum.

anyone knows where will be a good view to see mount fuji

The best places are mentioned on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2172.html

My Trip 2010/2/25 02:03
But will it be consider too time wasting if i only intend to book my hotel in Fukuoka,Osaka and Tokyo? and try to travel out from these areas to the areas i want?
I trying to plan for scenery places,visit some more popular attractions.(Buildings- Past or Present,Sea or greenery) with some shopping,culture and fun.Also to catch the Cherry Blossom,is there any recommendation?

In your opinion, if to compare universal studio and Disney, which is worth going?

From your suggestions, Kyoto has alot of attractions compared to Osaka?

... 2010/2/25 03:15
But will it be consider too time wasting if i only intend to book my hotel in Fukuoka,Osaka and Tokyo? and try to travel out from these areas to the areas i want?

Do you mean you intend to visit all the places in day trips from your three bases? I think that is the best thing to do for all the places around Tokyo. It can also be a good idea in the Osaka/Kyoto area. In Kyushu it is also possible, but for Beppu, in particular, I recommend an overnight stay for a ryokan onsen experience. Nagasaki, too, would be more enjoyable in an overnight trip, in my opinion, as there are lots of things to see and many dining options.

As for the cherry blossoms, it is difficult to predict. But generally speaking, I think your timing is good to see some blossoms.

In your opinion, if to compare universal studio and Disney, which is worth going?

Disney is larger and more interesting, in my personal opinion.

From your suggestions, Kyoto has alot of attractions compared to Osaka?

Kyoto has by far the most historical sites in all of Japan, having been the capital for 1000 years. So from a historical and cultural point of view, Kyoto has much more attractions than Osaka. But as for shopping and modern entertainment, Osaka has more to offer.

So Stressful... 2010/2/25 20:49
Do you mean you intend to visit all the places in day trips from your three bases? I think that is the best thing to do for all the places around Tokyo. It can also be a good idea in the Osaka/Kyoto area. In Kyushu it is also possible, but for Beppu, in particular, I recommend an overnight stay for a ryokan onsen experience. Nagasaki, too, would be more enjoyable in an overnight trip, in my opinion, as there are lots of things to see and many dining options.

Yes, im thinking if its possible to stay in only Tokyo,Osaka(seems like cheaper accomdation) and Hakata. Partly, i dont think it will be enjoyable to caryy our luggage everywhere we go..haha..I was thinking to spend the night at Nagasaki and maybe take the last train back to Hakata.Since you recommend to stay overnight,i will consider about it.
Is the average travelling time from these 3 areas to the places i wish to go within 1-2 hrs?

Kyoto has by far the most historical sites in all of Japan, having been the capital for 1000 years. So from a historical and cultural point of view, Kyoto has much more attractions than Osaka. But as for shopping and modern entertainment, Osaka has more to offer.

How far is the travel time from east to west of Kyoto and the JR station of the stops in the central of Kyoto?
Is JR rail pass sufficient to bring me easily to the most attractions in most areas like Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto? Do I need additional pass(bus/metro) to bring me around the area? I had seen the Tokyo rail/metro map, am I able to find should maps for Osaka and Kyoto?
Sorry for having so many questions, im too excited and in the same time very worried of losing our way as I hope to fully utilised the time we have in to visit as much places we can.
Thanks again..

... 2010/2/26 01:31
Osaka(seems like cheaper accomdation)

There is no cost difference between Kyoto and Osaka. The range in both cities covers all budgets from around 1500 yen per night and person to way over 50,000 yen per night and person.

Is the average travelling time from these 3 areas to the places i wish to go within 1-2 hrs?

It greatly differs on the place and can be easily looked up for each place in this sightseeing guide:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

And with the following timetable website:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

Nagasaki in a daytrip requires 4 hours on the train. Beppu, too requires about 4 hours on the train for a daytrip. All the other day trips require 2 hours or less on the train. All the above times are times for the round trip.

How far is the travel time from east to west of Kyoto

Depends on where in the east to where on the west. If it is along the Tozai Subway Line (literally: "East-West Subway Line"), it can take as little as 15 minutes. If the two places are less conveniently served, it can be 30 minutes or more.

and the JR station of the stops in the central of Kyoto?

It takes about 5-20 minutes by subway between JR station and central Kyoto, depending on where in central Kyoto you wish to go.

Is JR rail pass sufficient to bring me easily to the most attractions in most areas like Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto? Do I need additional pass(bus/metro) to bring me around the area?

It is explained on the following pages.

For Tokyo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html

For Osaka:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e4006.html

For Kyoto:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2363.html

Many of your questions can be relatively easily answered by searching this site a little bit.

... 2010/2/26 06:35
The correct URL for the timetable website:
http://www.hyperdia.com/

reply to this thread