Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Reservations needed for these trains? 2010/2/27 23:54
Hi,

I will be in Japan in August and have planned a sightseeing route. All accommodation & flights are booked. I was planning on just turning up for the ferry and trains but I'm now wondering whether I need reservations with it being a peak holiday time. The parts of the route in question are as follows:

30 July Keisei Rapid Limited Express from Narita to Keisei Yawata
(sightsee Tokyo, fly to Matsuyama)

7 August Slow ferry from Matsuyama to Hiroshima
(sightsee Hiroshima)
10 August Nozomi No. 20 to Shin-Osaka
(sightsee Osaka)
12 August JR Special Rapid to Kyoto
(sightsee kyoto)
14 August JR Miyakoji-Rapid to Nara then JR Kansai line to Tennoji

15 August Haruka No 5 to Kansai airport
(fly to Okinawa & fly back to Tokyo)

17 August Narita airport to Kuramae and reverse on 18 August
(fly home)

I have been taking the train times & fares from the Jorudan.co website, for unreserved seats. From what that is teling me I am budgeting 25,000 yen for fares on ferry, trains & including a one day subway pass in Tokyo & one in Osaka. As time in each place is limited I have also budgeted for at least a half day introductory tour and have a 2 day Mt Fuji/Hakone tour from Tokyo as well.

I would be grateful for any advice about this as I don't want to be restricted to a specific train if possible but certainly don't want to turn up & find I can't get to where I need to be.

Thanks in advance for your help
by Aprilflower (guest)  

... 2010/2/28 03:29
As you noted yourself, you travel during the peak of the summer holidays, and it will be very busy here and there.

I have the feeling that the ferry should not pose any problem.

As for the nozomi on the 10th, I think it will be busy but not overly busy.

The busiest part is probably the flight to Okinawa and back. Make sure to reserve as early as possible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2010/2/28 08:57
Only the Haruka and Nozomi trains mentioned have reserved seating. They also have unreserved seating so seat reservations are not mandatory.

All the other trains you have listed have no reserved seating and are regular commuter trains.
by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread