Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto -Takayama/Kanazawa - Nagano -Tokyo 2010/3/14 01:28
Hi all.
We will be visiting Japan for the second time.
This time we want to visit Kyoto, Osaka, and Tokyo, but take a bit of a different route from Kyoto back to Tokyo.
As I would also like to visit the snowmonkeys near Nagano I came up with these 3 options:

Kyoto-Kanazawa 2:04
Kanazawa-Nagano 4:13
Nagano-Tokyo 1:40

Kyoto-Kanazawa 3:10
Kanazawa-Tokyo 4:03

Kyoto-Takayama 3:10
Takayama-Nagano 5:00
Nagano-Tokyo 1:40

As the time difference between going straight to Nagano from Kyoto, or visiting Kanazawa underway, is only 40 minutes, I think the Kyoto-Kanazawa-Nagano-Tokyo option sounds like the best plan.

Anyone have any opinions on which route to take and how long to stay in each city between Kyoto and Tokyo? I was thinking 1 night in Kanazawa and 2 nights in Nagano, so we could walk around in Nagano when we arrvive, see the snowmonkeys the day after and go to Tokyo on the 3rd day.
by matthijst  

... 2010/3/14 07:46
Note that Takayama-Nagano can be done in 3 hours if you take the bus between Takayama and Matsumoto.

Note also that it takes two hours to get from Nagano City to the snow monkeys. Instead, I recommend to base yourself for at least one night in the nice hot spring town of Shibu Onsen, which is much closer to the monkeys:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6029.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread