Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

COE/Visa Issue 2010/3/28 00:06
Hello everyone,

I'm in a bit of a pickle here and advice from you experts would really help .

Basically, I came to Japan on a tourist visia with a job lined up (had already submitted COE paperwork) and would have received the COE soon after I arrived. However, after I arrived I found a better job opportunity, so I politely informed the original job that I found employment elsewhere and they went again and canceled the COE process. At the beginning of March, I went with a representative of my new company to immigration to apply for another COE and it all went smoothly. However.....it's been just about 3 and a half weeks since applying for the COE and I have yet to hear anything back yet. Considering that my "Temp. Visitor" status expires on April 20th, I need to start preparing for the worst case scenario: that the COE doesn't come by then. I've done a lot of research yet can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere.

So, what do you all think I should do? Go to immigration and beg for an extension? If so, what excuse should I give? Should I call them for the status? Should I do the Korea run? If so how long? And also, what should I say to the immigration officer when I come back? I've heard recently that some people are getting denied the second 90 day visa after going abroad for a few days, so I'm a bit worried.

Anyway, yea, I have just about 3 weeks to either receive the COE or face expiration..

Any advice would really help. Thank you!
by Tokyozombie  

... 2010/3/29 08:04
It is not unusual for the CEO process to take two or three months, especially in busy seasons of the year, of which April is one, I believe.

I see few alternatives besides trying to extend your stay. And if that fails, leave and re-enter Japan.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2010/3/29 11:22
Just read your profile if you are an American citizen, there is zero chance they will give you an extension to your temporary visitor status no matter how much you might cry or beg, it doesn't work for the other folks either I see at the Immigration office. COEs can take a long time to process or they can be really fast, depends on the time and workload those guys have I guess.

Remember Temporary visitor isn't a "visa" it is "visa waiver" the yellow/gray colored stamp in your passport isn't a visa, it is a "LANDING PERMIT" , any case if you did the run to Korea (immigration knows this trick, it is even mentioned on their website), it just depends on the immigration inspector, if you can show funds, a clear plan you might be just fine, or if the guy is having a bad day then you'll have a bad day too. It's always a gamble, a risk when doing it, some say there's this unwritten 180day rule, beause it is unwritten and unofficial you are at the mercy of the inspector you get when you show up.

by ExpressTrain (guest) rate this post as useful

CoE 2010/3/29 13:10
As far as I understand, Once you get CoE you will have to get the visa stamped and this can be done only outside side (within Japan CoE wont have any meaning). In that case you anyway have to go out of Japan to get the visa stamped.
Also you mentioned its been 3.5 weeks for your CoE and you have another 3 weeks till you Temp status expires, As far as I know you have high probability of receiving your CoE by then, If not you can ask someone to post CoE to you and get it stamped in your home country and return with Visa.
by WorkPermitHolder (guest) rate this post as useful

Leaving Japan? 2010/3/29 13:14
I was actually under the impression that once I get my COE, I can just bring that along with my visa to immigration and they will put it into the processing stage. I know many people who did just that. I don't think its necessary to leave Japan once you have your COE anymore.
by Tokyozombie rate this post as useful

whoops 2010/3/29 13:15
meant to say bring it along with my passport**

Correct 2010/3/29 13:22
It is indeed possible to change a temporary visitor visa into a working visa within Japan, once you have you're COE. Once you have a COE the visa process is very quick indeed. Some immigration officials are under the impression (or they deliberately lie) that you have to leave Japan to get a visa issued under these circumstances. This is not true -there should be no problem as long as you get your COE in time. Otherwise, you'll need to leave and wait for your COE and get the working visa put in your passport before returning.
by Lady Kodaira rate this post as useful

So then.... 2010/3/29 13:34
You don't think I can just do the Korea run for a couple days and tell them when I get back that I have a COE in process as well as there are still other sights I want to see? I actually have a flight back to America at the end of May, so I was thinking I could bring a copy of that itinerary with me to show them "hey, if theres any problem, I'll be out by June anyway". Maybe this would increase my chances of getting back in Japan?

don't ask here 2010/3/30 03:15
don't ask on forums, nobody knows. it varies from situation to situation and immigration tends to do whatever they feel like, and different immigration officers will decline one person and approve another even if their circumstances are the same.

best bet: go to your immigration office and see if they'll stamp your passport with an application pending stamp or not.
by winterwolf rate this post as useful

Visa Issues 2010/3/30 06:21
I agree with Winterwolf, this is too serious to be basing your course of action on advice from an online forum. It would seem to me that the company that is hiring you would provide assistance in dealing with this issue, I would contact them immediately.
by cf (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread