Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

geisha tour only inteded for guys? 2010/4/9 12:30
i'm planning to go to japan this June, and i find one tour in Tokyo that can see geisha. i think is awesome and is one in a life time opportunity , but I'm a girl and if i will be joining the tour i will be going with my husband , is weird for a girl or a couple join a tour to see geisha??? cause I'm really interested to see what is geisha and what geisha looked like.
by monique (guest)  

... 2010/4/11 18:36
What type of tour is it? My husband and I went to a dinner with Geisha in Kyoto. The other people there were mainly Japanese couples and we were the youngest couple there (in our 20s).
by AusEz rate this post as useful

shouldn't be a problem 2010/4/12 08:52
I'm going to Japan in May and I've reserved a traditional Japanese dinner with some geisha. They're going to sing and dance too. I'm going with my husband and it doesn't sound like it's going to be a problem with me.
by KC (guest) rate this post as useful

Geisha show 2010/4/12 12:03
Where in Kyoto and Tokyo did you bk the shows?
by Renee (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/4/12 12:39
I went to Gion Hatanaka in Kyoto. They have a website. It was very expensive (18000yen per person I think) but I think it was worth it.

geisha 2010/4/12 18:51
by monique (guest) rate this post as useful

Sayuki's banquets 2010/4/17 18:03
Sayuki, the first white geisha in Japan, arranges banquets for foreigners from her web-site www.sayuki.net. They are genuine banquets with real geisha in a real atmosphere, not a tour. Because Sayuki is there you get to ask questions about what it is like being a geisha, and you really get to talk to the geisha one on one. And take photos and everything too. This was an awesome experience.
by anna_b (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/4/17 18:15
That sounds similar to the one we went to at Gion Hatanaka. It was a Japanese banquet and you get to talk to the Geisha, have photos with them and play drinking games with them. We don't speak much Japanese so one of the staff members translated for us.

The Ryokan hire the Geisha to perform though, rather than it being organised by a Geisha.

Geisha is not intended for guys only 2010/4/17 21:30
Several things.

First, a REAL geisha performs artistic show for its client, its not just for MALE, they do it for both. The term Geisha can roughly translate to "People with Talent" or "Artisit People". In your case, i won't worry about it, you can almost bet on ALL geisha house around Gion being authentic

Maiko the same thing, they are just like "Undergraduate geisha".

The keyword here is "Authentic". The reason why I said that is that, there are still shady places that have prostitue portraying as geisha providing "extra service", and in which case, yes these are male only places, BUT the good thing to foreigner is that, their service is ONLY provided to local real Japanese people, so the chances of you ending up in a pink store with these services is very very slim

Good luck and enjoy your trip
by Glee (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread