Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How use multiple na-adjective together? 2010/4/12 02:21
Hey everyone (^_^) /

I've looked everywhere online and in all of my books, and no one ever gives an example of using multiple na-adjectives in one sentence.
All I want to know is

Do I drop the NA at the end of the adjectives in these examples:

Ano hito ha kirei to yuumei desu.
Kirei ka yuumei
etc.

OR
Would I write:
Ano hito ha kirei na to yuumei desu.
Kirei na ka yuumei
etc.

I'm 99% sure that I drop the na.

Lastly, what about
Kore ha kirei to yuumei na kuruma desu.

Do I drop the NA on the first na-adjective because it's not directly before a noun (unsure because it still modifies the noun).

In thanks for your help, here's a little dance!
(/^_^)/
|(^_^)/
_(^_^)|
|(^_^)|
Okay okay. I couldn't find the dancing guy and substituted the air traffic control guy. You caught me.
by canadianwriter  

... 2010/4/12 09:46
Are you trying to say ''that person is pretty AND famous''?
Then it would be:
- Ano hito ha kirei de yuumei desu.

If you just say ''(that person) is pretty'' that would be ''kirei desu,'' and ''(that person) is famous'' is ''yuumei desu,'' right? So if you string up those two clauses, you would take the te-form of the verb (in this case ''desu'', so you take ''de'') and put them together.

For the phrase with the car, that would be:
- Kore ha kirei de yuumei na kuruma desu.

There are other ways to phrase these, but these are the simplest (grammatically) ways :)
by AK rate this post as useful

Use "de" with -i adjectives too? 2010/4/12 10:50
1. So do I use ''de'' when using two -i adjectives as well?
e.g. omoi de osoi
Or would it be
omoi to osoi?

2. Do I only use ''to'' when listing two nouns?

3. Would it make any difference if kirei and yuumei weren't in that particular sentence structure?
e.g. just ''kirei to yuumei'' on it's own.

Thanks a lot! (^_^)
(and any explanation or link to why I use ''de'' instead of ''to'' would be greatly appreciated)
by canadianwriter rate this post as useful

... 2010/4/12 10:57
1. So do I use ''de'' when using two -i adjectives as well?
No. i-adjectives and na-adjectives are grammatically completely different things.

You would say "omokute osoi. (Heavy and slow.)

When you string up two predicates (verbs, i-adjectives, or na-adjectives with desu verb), you use the te-form for the first one.

(with verbs)
- Kinou ha takusan nonde tabeta. (Yesterday I drank a lot and ate a lot.) You take the te-form of "nomu" (to drink), which is "nonde."

(with i-adjectives)
- Omokute osoi. (It's heavy and slow.) you take the te-form of "omoi," which is "omokute."

(with na-adjectives)
- Ano hito ha kirei de yuumei da. (That person is pretty and famous). You take the te-form of the verb "desu/da," which is "de."

2. Do I only use ''to'' when listing two nouns?
"to" to say "and"? Right. Either nouns or noun phrases.
3. Would it make any difference if kirei and yuumei weren't in that particular sentence structure?
e.g. just ''kirei to yuumei'' on it's own.

I don't quite understand the question - but generally speaking, you cannot just string up adjectives with "to" as if you were stringing up nouns.

Thank You!! 2010/4/12 11:26
AK, thank you soooooo much!
It is extremely difficult to get that answer by scouring Japanese lessons (books, CDs, websites, software...) for how to string two adjectives together. Every source always shows how to use a noun, then how to string two nouns together.
Then they show how to use an adjective, but skip the idea of stringing two adjectives together as though the Japanese never use more than one adjective at a time. Haha.

Thank you so much. I posted this after spending more than a day searching for the answer.

So, if I use "to" (as in "and") to string together two noun phrases, that includes nouns that have adjectives attached, right?
e.g.
omoi inu to osoi neko

Thanks again. (^_^) /

i'll try to explain 2010/4/12 11:28
First, i don't know if you are familiarized with the -te form. For example:

書く  − 書いて
止まる − 止まって

But I'll assume you do.

This -te form has various functions, but one of them is to make up for the "and" particle in some sentences. It applies to verbs and also -na and -i adjectives, but each of them has a different way of using -te form.

For example. using verbs:
図書館で本を読んで、論文を書きました。

The above example means: At the library i read a book AND wrote an essay.

Notice the verb 読む has been transformed to -te form (読んで), to make up for the "AND" particle or to announce that your not finished with the sentence.

The same goes for -na and -i adjectives, they also have to be converted to -te form, but the change slightly.

When combining -na adjectives, you use their -te form, and that form is dropping -na and adding で. simple as that.

先生はまじめで、親切です。(The professor is intelligent AND kind)

i- adjectives also change. You drop the -i and add くて at the end. This way, verbs like 面白い、高い and 暑い become 面白くて、高くて and 暑くて. Example:

私は高くて白いビルに住んでいます。 (I live in a tall AND white building).

You can also combine -na adjectives and -i adjectives. To apply the rule, you just have to think which one is going first. Example:

部屋はきれいで、広いです。 (The room is clean AND spacious).

If you turn around verbs, it would be like this:

部屋は広くて、きれいです。 (The room is spacious AND clean).

I don't know if my explanation was clear, probably not that much haha but i hope it can help you a little.
Anyway, i'm sure AK will give you a much better explanation ;)

by kairo (guest) rate this post as useful

. 2010/4/12 11:31
oh, he did already!
sorry!
by kairo (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/4/12 11:42
canadianwriter,

e.g.
omoi inu to osoi neko

"a heavy dog and a slow cat," then yes (though a funny combination!), that's right.

kairo,
I'm a woman by the way :)

i-adjective:
omoi = is heavy
(The be-verb is already included in the adjective, so i-adjectives themselves conjugate as if it was a verb.)
omokute = (te-form)
omokunai = is not heavy
omokatta = was heavy
omokunakatta = was not heavy

na-adjective:
kirei = pretty
You need to combine it with the verb "da/desu" to make it into a sentence, and use "na" when it comes before a noun..
kirei de = (te-form)
kirei da = is pretty
kirei dewa nai = is not pretty
kirei datta = was prety
kirei dewa nakatta = was not pretty

Thank You Both (^_^) 2010/4/12 14:02
Thank you both so much!
Both of your answers helped me to really understand what's going on. And now that I understand why things are happening, I have a MUCH better understanding of how the Japanese think about adjectives.
*happy camper is happy* (^_^)

You've both answered all of my questions. Have a great night! (^_^) /

*End of thread*
(-.-) zzzZZZzzz

reply to this thread