Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Itinerary (3 days) 2010/4/28 04:04
Hi all~ have read through other posts in this forum on Kyoto itinerary, but still not too sure whether mine works well:

Day 1:
1) Place luggage at K's House (10am)
2) Walk to Sanjusangendo
3) Walk to Kyoto Station and take train to Arashiyama(lunch)
4) Take Sagano Romantic Train Ride (5pm)
5) Take train to Kyoto Station and change train/bus to Gion(dinner)
6) Walk to Yasaka Shrine
7) Go back to K's house and check-in before 10pm

Day 2:
1) Fushimi Inari Shrine
2) Uji Byodoin
3) Nara (still haven't decided where to go)

Day 3:
1) Toji (on 21st at 7am, go to its flea market)
2) Nijo Castle
3) Kyoto Imperial Palace (reserved for 2pm guided tour)
4) Kiyomizu temple
5) Sannenzaka, Ninenzaka
6) Take train at 19:29 from Kyoto to my friend's house at Shiki(Saitama)

Limitations:
1) Need to travel from Shiki on Day 1 and back to Shiki on Day 3.
2) The guided tour for Kyoto Imperial Palace is fixed (already reserved).
3) Would definitely want to visit Toji's market.

Questions:
1) Is my itinerary fine?
2) Is it possible to fit in Kinkakuji in my itinerary?
3) How much time on average should I spend on the temples/shrines? Should I go to Uji Byodoin?
4) Any "must-eat" in Kyoto? I heard that the beancurd (tofu) is a must-try.

Greatly appreciate if anyone could help. Many thanks in advance!!!
by oldoldwisebear  

... 2010/4/28 11:16
Is my itinerary fine?

Yes, it looks good and well planned to me. Fast paced and long days, but fineif you do not mind that. If you travel as disciplined as you plan, you should have no problems.

2) Is it possible to fit in Kinkakuji in my itinerary?

I don't think so.

How much time on average should I spend on the temples/shrines?

An average would not be meaningful. It differs widely between temples and shrines.

Should I go to Uji Byodoin?

Yes, it is a beautiful temple. But if a different temple looks more appealing to you than Byodoin, then I recommend to visit that other temple, instead.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Night of Day 2... 2010/4/30 03:29
Thanks for your advice, Uji! I realized that I have some free time for Day 2's night

Day 2 (revised):
1) Kyoto to Nara (reach by 8:30am)
2) Visit Kofukuji, Nara Park, Yoshikien Garden, Isuien Garden (may or may not go), Todaji
3) Nara to Fushimi Inari Shrine (reach at 3:30pm)

Questions:
1) I changed the half-day Nara trip to morning instead because most attractions there are closed before 5:30pm. Is this okay?

2) Is it better to go to Fushimi Inari Shrine before sunset, or are there anything to see at night? If yes, then I may try to fit Uji Byoudoin before Fushimi Inari Shrine.

3) Where should I go after Fushimi Inari Shrine? Should I move Day 1's Gion trip to Day 2 instead? Any other suggested activities (one I can think of is experiencing the local bathhouse :p)?

Thank you~~~
by oldoldwisebear rate this post as useful

... 2010/4/30 09:12
I changed the half-day Nara trip to morning instead because most attractions there are closed before 5:30pm. Is this okay?

Yes, I think that is a good change.

Is it better to go to Fushimi Inari Shrine before sunset, or are there anything to see at night?

I recommend to go before sunset. All it gets after sunset is dark and slightly scary, although there are some lights along the path.

Where should I go after Fushimi Inari Shrine?

I think you will be tired, and I recommend to have dinner in Gion, Pontocho or somewhere else nice. Bath house sounds nice too, but I am not aware of any except the one in the basement of Kyoto Tower, which does not seem to be particularly nice.
by Uji rate this post as useful

uji 2010/5/1 00:09
Depending on what time of year you go to Uji (if it's the summer time), at night around 7pm you can see Ukai, or cormorant fishing. I hope to make that part of my trip and Uji visit this summer!
by unitoro (guest) rate this post as useful

^__^ 2010/5/1 11:17
Uji: I actually planned to go to Miyako-yu coz it's very near to K's House.

http://decodingkyoto.policy-science.jp/sento/index.php?category=shops&...

unitoro: I'm going to Kyoto in mid-June, and most of the summer festivals are in July :p

BUS 2010/5/1 17:57
Day 1:
1) Place luggage at K's House (10am)
2) Walk to Sanjusangendo
3) Walk to Kyoto Station and take train to Arashiyama(lunch)
7) Go back to K's house and check-in before 10pm

IMHO walking back to Kyoto station will take up valuable time: I would take the bus at Sangusangendo right to Kyoto station, and save time AND ENERGY for the other parts of your plan.
by fmj rate this post as useful

Day 1 changes 2010/5/1 19:48
I noticed that the last train for Sagano romantic train is at 4:07pm (http://www.sagano-kanko.co.jp/eng/index.htm), so I have to take the train before I start exploring Arashiyama.

1. Take the earliest train from Shiki to Kyoto, reach at 9:15am.
2. Reserve for 1:35pm Sagano Romantic Train Ride at JR counter.
3. Walk 12 mins to K's House and put luggage there
4. Walk 9 mins to Sanjusangendo
5. Walk/take bus to Kyoto Station and take train to Umahori Station, walk 7 mins to Torroko Kameoka Station
6. Take Sagano Romantic Train Ride at 13:35-14:01 from Torroko Kameoka to Torroko Saga Station.
7. Lunch at Shintogetsu
8. Okochi Sanso (need to visit first coz it closes at 17:00.)
9. Bamboo Grooves
10. Tenryuji (tentative)
11. Togetsukyo Bridge + stroll along Hozu River
12. Saga Arashiyama Station → Nijo Station → Sanjokeihan, walk to Hanamikouji dori
13. Gion + dinner
14. Walk to Yasaka Shrine 八坂神社
15. Yasaka Shrine → Gion Shijo → Shichijo → walk to K's House
16. Check-in at Kyoto K's house

Questions:
1) fmj: which bus should I take from Sanjusangendo to Kyoto station? I'm afraid that I might take the bus of the opposite direction and get lost (__ __;;)
2) Is the sequence for Arashiyama attractions ok? Not sure if I should put Bamboo Grooves before or after Okochi Sanso.
3) Should I go to Tenryuji? It was mentioned "pleasent, but unremarkable" here (http://wikitravel.org/en/Kyoto/Arashiyama). Is the garden worth visiting?

Thanks in advance!!

bus navi 2010/5/1 20:38
which bus should I take from Sanjusangendo to Kyoto station
When you walk out of Sanjusangendo (there is only 1 way in/out) stay on that side of the road and walk a few meters to the left to the bus stop. You can catch any of #100, #206, or #208. The bus will come from your right.
If you can when you are at Kyoto station go to the info counter and get the VERY useful Bus Navi map: or Google "Kyoto transport.pdf" and download it and print it off (in colour!!): very very useful
by fmj rate this post as useful

Thanks, fmj! 2010/5/1 22:47
Thank you, fmj :) I actually printed the bus navi map but not in color :p will definitely get a copy once I reach Kyoto!

reply to this thread