Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fireworks at Toyako ? 2010/5/5 23:40
Plan on being there mid July, will there still be fireworks at night on Toyako and if so, what time does it start and lasts how long ? Thanks.
by KK (guest)  

Long-Run Fireworks Nights 2010/5/6 10:43
2010 Apr 28th ~ 2010 Oct 31st (subject to weather conditions)
each evening 8:45pm (about 20mins)

@Toyako Onsen lakeshore
by . (guest) rate this post as useful

Where is it please 2010/5/6 14:04
Thanks for your information.
Is the fireworks on the South shore of the lake ? We are undecided on which hotel but will we get a good view of the fireworks from either the Toya Sunpalace or the Toyako Manseikaku hotels ? Thanks.
by KK (guest) rate this post as useful

Sunpalace,Toyako 2010/5/6 18:14
Hi KK ,

I stayed at Sunpalace last summer, and would not hesitate to recommend the place . It is a big onsen hotel, if you do not mind.
If you are lucky you can watch the fireworks from your hotel room, otherwise just go to the hotel garden (next to the lake). I may also add that the buffet dinner is excellent for the price.
by liem (guest) rate this post as useful

Thanks Liem 2010/5/7 03:16
Your comment has been helpful. I think we will book the Sunpalace with the buffet dinner although that hotel has not replied to our (English) email for 2 days now. Do you remember if their buffet dinner had good seafood and crab legs ?
What else is there to do/see around Toyako ?

Sunpalace,Toyako 2010/5/7 10:29
Hi KK,
Yes, plenty of sashimi, crab legs,scallops,and ... and for 10000 yens per pax ? it was really good value.
Not sure if you are catching a bus , but the hotel is the last stop from TOYA station, very convenient

TOYAKO 2010/5/7 10:53
Hi KK,

We arrived late at the hotel, but had ample time to enjoy the scenery around the lake, had pleasant bath, enjoyed delicious dinner and the firework.
The next day we had only a few hours to kill , so we decided to take a taxi ( about 10 minutes from the hotel ) to Usuzan Ropeway and Showa Shinzan.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6726.html

Thanks again Liem 2010/5/7 16:47
We've been up a few other ropeways in Japan, did you think the Uzsan ropeway was special ?
Our next stop will be Noboribetsu, did you stay there and can you recommend a good hotel with good onsen+food ? Takimotokan ? Anything else to do/see around Noboribetsu ?

Mahoroba, Noboribetsu 2010/5/7 20:09
Hi kk,

The ropeway is not special, but if you have time to kill ,it would not be a bad idea to visit. the area you can also see bears.

Below was what I posted last year.

" http://www.toyasunpalace.co.jp/ TOYAKO
http://www.h-mahoroba.jp/ NOBORIBETSU

http://www.takimotokan.co.jp/english/index.html NOBORIBETSU We stayed one night each at the above hotels last year, all with buffet package. They were all very special.

Will rate Mahoroba for best food , Toya Sunpalace for excellent value and unbeatable scenery of lake Toya and the firework display. And as for Dai-ichi Takimotokan, to be honest, a bit of disappointment. They all have nice baths !"

Do not miss the footbath stream in the HELL VALLEY ( Picture No 1 ) http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6750.html

Great thanks Liem 2010/5/7 20:39
How would you compare the onsens at Mahoroba hotel and Takimotokan, if you stay at the former would you NOW pay just to visit the onsens at Takimotokan ?
Do you have any hotel or activity suggestions for Furano, Biei, Asahikawa or Sounkyo ? The only items we have looked at are Farm Tomita, the winery and maybe cheese factory and Asahiyama zoo.
by K (guest) rate this post as useful

Hokkaido 2010/5/7 22:58
Depending on how much time you have, there are many worthwhile sights in Furano and Biei area. July is perfect timing for seeing flowers there and the area is very popular. If you are after lavender, start from the south at Kanayama-ko located in Minami Furano area where you can find the only lavender fields with a lake as a backdrop. On the last Sat and Sun of July, there is a summer festival with firework in the evening. For other flower fields and parks, work yourself up north through Furano, Nara Furano, Kamifurano and then Biei. Besides flowers, the Panoramic Road and Patchwork Road in Biei offer spectacular countryside scenery. My wife loves flowers and we drove around Furano and Biei for 3 days to cover a lot of flower parks and scenic spots last summer. For some of the flower sites you can take a look here at a list I have posted on another forum:
http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g298143-i5078-k3271847-Hokkaido_by...

Besides the zoo, don't miss out the Ramen Mura in Asahikawa where my wife said she had the best of ramen in Hokkaido. To cool off the summer heat, pay a visit to the Snow Crystal Museum/Snow Gallery in the Hokkaido Folk Arts and Crafts Village. Asahikawa also holds a Natsu Matsuri summer festival from July 31 to August 2 (may differ slightly each year) and on the first night there is firework from 19.45 - 20.45. Also 1 hr drive from Asahikawa is Hokuryu, a must for seeing beautiful sunflower fields. Early August is the best time for it.

We didn't have time for the Sounkyo Gorge but we went to the beautiful Hagoromo-no-take waterfalls in Tenninkyo Onsen.
by William5 rate this post as useful

Mahoroba hotel and Daichi Takimotokan 2010/5/9 16:07
Hi KK,

" How would you compare the onsens at Mahoroba hotel and Takimotokan, if you stay at the former would you NOW pay just to visit the onsens at Takimotokan ?"

Unless you want to experience having a bath in Daichi Takimotokan, otherwise I do not see the point. IMO ,the baths in Mahoroba are as good as Daichi Takimotokan's .FYI,
you do not have to be a staying guest to have a bath in Daichi Takimotokan, but you have to in Mahoroba.

"Do you have any hotel or activity suggestions for Furano, Biei, Asahikawa or Sounkyo ? The only items we have looked at are Farm Tomita, the winery and maybe cheese factory and Asahiyama zoo. "

I think William5 covered Furano, Biei, Asahikawa very well. I enjoyed my visit to these areas, especially Biei. One thing I would like to add, driving / hiring a car is a much better option for exploring the area than relying on public transport.

Sounkyo is not a big place,but has a few attractive spots:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6777.html
I visited the place twice, once spring ,and once winter time. I enjoyed both visits, but the Hyoubaku Matsuri / ice festival in winter time was more special.
I stayed at the Grand hotel,cheaper than many other hotels in the areas. I do not find the hotel anything special, but they provide free shuttles from Asahikawa and other places.

Asahikawa zoo is claimed to be the best in Japan? I visited the place last November ,and frankly , it was a big disappointment .

reply to this thread