Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

16 days itenary with seishun 18 kippu 2010/5/8 06:31
Hi all..i’m aware of the validity, the limitation and the many transfers involves in using this pass but we are traveling on a tight budget.
I know it’s a bit rush but this is all the time we have and we are not sure when we will be back to japan again.

Day 1 – kl - tokyo. Take 2310 train to ogaki on moonlight nagara. (purchase 1 normal price ticket to odawara)
Overnight – train

Day 2 – arrive himeji, spend few hrs. Depart himeiji to Hiroshima. (Used 1 seishun 18 kippu ticket)
Overnight - hiroshima

Day 3 – Hiroshima half day, miyajima half day. No time for mt misen.
Overnight – Hiroshima

Day 4 – Hiroshima 5.53am arrive Kyoto 12.29pm. half day Kyoto sightseeing. (used 2 seishun 18 kippu tickets)
Overnight – Kyoto

Day 5 – nara day trip
Overnight – Kyoto

Day 6 – Kyoto/Osaka at night
Overnight – Kyoto

Day 7 – Kyoto sightseeing.
Overnight - kyoto

Day 8 – Take train from Kyoto at 5.48am, arrive takayama 10.01am. (normal ticket, pay Y4620).
Take 11am bus to Shirakawa-go.
Overnight - takayama

Day 9 – take the earliest bus from takayama to kamikochi. Few hours visiting kamikochi and transfer to matsumoto. If time allows, can have a quick look at matsumoto castle. Take train to Tokyo. (used 3 seishun 18 kippu tickets)
Overnight – Tokyo

Day 10 – travel to kawaguchi-ko for fuji. Can get fuji hakone free pass or hakone fuji pass.
Overnight – kawaguchi-ko or hakone?

Day 11 – hakone, back to Tokyo
Overnight – Tokyo

Day 12– Tokyo sightseeing. Travel to nikko in the evening.
Overnight – nikko

Day 13 – nikko town area sightseeing, train back to Tokyo. Can squeeze in mito garden?
Overnight – Tokyo

Day 14 – day trip kamakura/enoshima, yokohama in the evening?
Overnight – Tokyo

Day 15 – Tokyo sightseeing. Can make half day trip to shibazakura.
Overnight – Tokyo

Day 16 – leave Tokyo.

My questions :
1. is this itenary feasible?

2. is one day enough for nara? Can we slot in horyuji, yakushiji or toshodaiji? Possible to go horyuji, then tour around nara center?

3. Kyoto – which pass is the best for travel within Kyoto and nara? I have 2 and a half days in Kyoto and 1 day nara.
For Kyoto, 2 and a half days visiting the usual tourist sights, is it doable with the daily bus pass?
For Nara, how to go from Kyoto? Pay the standard kintetsu fare or is there any pass?

4. kamakura – is there enough time for kamakura, enoshima and yokohama in one day?
For yokohama, just like to check out briefly in the evening, where to go? Any suggestion?
Does the enoshima kamakura pass allows me to stop at yokohama after visiting kamakura?

5. is there anything special sights in Osaka? I guess my day time will be much occupied in Kyoto and perhaps can do a short few hrs at Osaka at night. Apart from the umeda sky building, aquariums, which I’m not so keen,.is there anywhere I can go for few hours?

6. Travel within Tokyo – is suica/pasmo card the best? What about tokunai? Does the subway gets me to most of the usual tourist sights?
Since I’ll be spending about 3 days in Tokyo (may not be consecutive), visiting the usual tourist sights and shopping area, which is the best pass to use?
Is there any pass that covers the fare from Tokyo to yokoze station, for the shibazakura?

Many thanks!
by wanderingbabe  

Seishin 18 ticket 2010/5/8 10:40
Wanderingbabe,

I know you probably don't want a lecture, but using the Seishun 18 ticket means you will be wasting an incredible amount of time sitting on local trains for hours on end just to save a relatively small amount of money compared with the Japan Rail Pass. Plus, when you add on your little side trips for which you don't intend to use Seishu 18 tickets, you are probably not saving much money at all.
More importantly though, there is basically no chance that you will be able to get seat reservations for the Moonlight Nagara on the same day you arrive in Japan, so you should try and plan some other itinerary.

by Dave in Saitama (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/5/9 05:11
you are right, perhaps i should re-do my itenary to make a morning train from tokyo to hiroshima instead of moonlight nagara.

i still insist on taking this because I will only be making 3 train journey using local train, and compares to 7 day JR pass, i'm saving half of the cost.
Moreover, I won't be able to make it back to tokyo within 7 days.
tks!
by wanderingbabe rate this post as useful

... 2010/5/9 08:05
As mentioned in the other thread, I also recommend looking into overnight buses as an alternative:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2366.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread