Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto Itinerary: Feasible? 2010/5/10 01:31
Hi! I was wondering if this itinerary is feasible for my 3 day stay in Kyoto... Well, technically 2 days. Is there a way for me to squeeze in Nijo Castle or Heian Shrine?

KYOTO
DAY 1 - Less than half a day
Arrive at Kyoto, Check-in 3:00
- Toji Temple

DAY 2 - Full day, Kyoto Sightseeing one day pass card
Take a train from Kyoto station to Kitaoji Station, Karasuma line
- Daitokuji Temple = 102
- Kinkakuji Temple = 101, 102, 204, 205
- Kitano Tenmagu = 102 {-- Should I pass here or just take a bus straight back to Kitaoji Station?

Take a bus back to Imadegawa Station/Kitaoji Station
Take a train to Kyoto Station

Take a train to Kawaramachi
- Sanjusangendo = 100, 206, 208
- Kiyomizudera = 100, 206 -- Kiyomizu-michi
- Kodaiji Temple
- Maruyama Park
- Yasaka Shrine = 100, 206 -- Get off at GION
- Gion = 100, 206 --} last so we can see it at night

Take a train back to Kyoto Station

DAY 3 - half a day
Take a train to Inari, JR Nara
- Fushimi Inari Shrine
- Tokufuji Temple
Leave for Osaka
by Kimmy (guest)  

... 2010/5/10 07:24
It is a busy schedule. But doable if you like to travel at a fast pace. An early start is recommended in the morning. I see no space to also pack in Nijo Castle or Heian Shrine.

Kitano Tenmagu = 102 {-- Should I pass here or just take a bus straight back to Kitaoji Station?

I don't think Kitano Tenmangu is a must-see destination unless you have some strong personal desire to see the shrine or visit during the plum blossom season in early spring.

Take a bus back to Imadegawa Station/Kitaoji Station
Take a train to Kyoto Station

Take a train to Kawaramachi
- Sanjusangendo = 100, 206, 208

Don't take the train to Kawaramachi!

Instead, I recommend to take a bus from Kinkakuji or Kitano Tenmangu to Demachi-Yanagi Station and take the Keihan Railway from there to Shijijo Station, a short walk from Sanjusangendo.

And a lot of the distances are walkable if you like walking. For example, Kitaoji Station and Daitokuji are only one kilometer apart from each other. So are Daitokuji and Kinkakuji. And also Kinkakuji and the northern end of the grounds of Kitano Tenmangu are only about one kilometer from each other.

It is also possible to walk from Sanjusangendo to Kiyomizudera in about 30-45 minutes. That is about a 15 minute longer walk than when you access the temple from Kinkakumichi bus stop.

Last but not least, note that Yasaka Shrine is just next to Gion bus stop.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread