Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fukuoka, Kagoshima, Tanegashima, Yakushima 2010/6/9 12:14
Hi guys,

Our original plan was to go to Fukuoka from Hiroshima and stay there for two nights. But I've heard now that Fukuoka isn't that interesting and seeing as I've got this strange fascination with Kagoshima/Tanegashima/Yakushima, I thought this might be a good oppertunity to visit.

A few questions though:

- How long does it take to get to Kagoshima from Hiroshima? Hyperdia says 300min, but that can't be right seeing as Kyoto-Kagoshima is 3,5 hours.

- Is it a better idea to stay at Tanegashima for the night, is there a hostel there? We're looking for the Y3500max price per night per person.

- We'd have to go back to Tokyo from Yakushima the next day, which is quite a long journey, is that doable in a day?

Thanks!
by Mitsuki (guest)  

If you're in Fukuoka 2010/6/9 16:51
Check out one of the largest and well known temples called Dazaifu-Tenmangu. You can reach it via the Omuta line or Kagoshima line on your way further south, easily taken care of in less than a few hours.
Fukuoka itself has a few nice spots:
Tenjin Shintencho - a market that houses shops, restaurants (near Fukuoka Station)
Mandarake - a huge manga/anime store (near the Daiei Dept Store on Watanabe street)
Masafuku - one of the best places to get a bite to eat (located in the Tenjin Core Bldg underground and Acros Bldg near Chuo Park)
Ohori Park and Nishi Park - two expansive parks great for a stroll
Ippudo Ramen - the best noodles in Japan (Located in Daimyo behind Fukuoka station) much better than the branch restaurants they have in Tokyo)
Nishijin - Has Fukuoka Tower, Yahoo Dome (formerly Fukuoka Dome) and Hawks Town (Fukuoka's baseball team-inspired shopping/entertainment center)
Nakasu - the red light district of Fukuoka, fun bars (try 'Bene Felice'), good food (located across the river - use the station Nakasu-Kawabata)
Canal City - an large enclosed shopping mall w/theatre and Hyatt hotel
Yatai Street - located close to Canal City, in the evening dozens of yatais open up all along the river serving ramen, tempura, other typical yatai food (cheap and tasty)
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/6/9 17:12
When I look on Hyperdia, Kyoto to Kagoshima is nearly 6 hours.

Hiroshima to Kagoshima is almost 5 hours. Travelling from Hiroshima on Honshu all the way from northern Kyushu to southern Kyushu is a long distance, so 6 hours is actually quite fast. It's about the same distance as Tokyo to Hiroshima by train.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

apologies 2010/6/9 18:05
Sorry, I forgot to answer your question! But it looks like someone got there already.

Rabbityama is correct. When I lived in Fukuoka, I was planning a trip to Kagoshima and would have taken 3 hours or more, so I settled for Kumamoto which was closer.

Tanegashima has places to stay and I found 2 in your budget:
2,500 yen per person/night
http://www.tanegashima-navi.com/hotel/h-hibari/h-hibaril.html
3,000 yen per person/night
http://www.tanegashima-navi.com/hotel/h-terada/h-terada.html

A Yakushima-Tokyo return trip in a day is LONG but not impossible. Use the morning to get to Hakata Station (Fukuoka) maybe 3 hours, transfer to the Shinkansen and ride 5 hours into Tokyo.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

depends on the route, but... 2010/6/9 20:19
Currently, it takes 2 hrs 20 min from Hakata to Kagoshima Chuo (this is the station where bullet trains arrive). Nozomi (fastest bullet train on the Tokyo-Hakata route)takes you from Hiroshima to Hakata only in 1 hr.

For your reference, when Kyusyu Shinkansen (bullet trains) is completed in March 2011, Sakura (nickname for Kyusyu Shinkansen) will directly take you from Shin-Osaka to Kagoshima only for 4 hrs!

As for the islands, it looks tough to cover 2 islands in 2 days, though not impossible. If your budget allows, you can directly fly from Yakushima to Osaka (Itami domestic airport) by JAL and it makes your return trip a lot easier.

Yakushima 11:25 depart
Osaka (=Itami) 12:50 arrive
by Jlady (just moved in Fukuoka!!) (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread