Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Daibutsu Hiking Course Kamakura 2010/6/9 12:15
Having read about this course and seen the photos on this site, and the travel blog, I do understand that it is unmade, steep, and for dry weather/good shoes.
My questions are
1. Is it all DOWNHILL steep from the Kita Kamakura end to the Daibutsu
2. and actually HOW steep: too steep for reasonably fit and good CITY walking 56-63 year olds?
Many thanks!!
by fmj  

more questions 2010/6/9 12:25
sorry, can you please add these in to the previous question request as points 3 and 4 please
3. Is the path well signed, in terms of temples/shrines; ie is it easy to get lost?
4. Does Kita Kamakura station have maps/info; or should we go down to Kamakura for this and and then back to Kita Kamakura?
by fmj (guest) rate this post as useful

bring good walking shoes 2010/6/9 18:24
1) and 2) When me and the wife went there we had little trouble. Im in my 20s but would I bring my age 50-60s parents for the trip? Yes. Just make sure to have good broken-in walking shoes and maybe a portable folding chair as we didn't notice too many places to sit down to take a breather.
I didn't notice that much of an incline when returning from Daibutsu to Kitakamakura.
We walked it twice since we hiked the LONG route saving Daibutsu for last but they closed admission about 4:45p, came back next day.

3) We got lost once or twice trying to reach other locations, because the signs could use a lot of improvement. But people are nice and willing to show/draw you the way.

4) Trail maps/information should be available free at Kitakamakura station with trail paths marked with distances and times needed to walk. In my opinion, the selection of places to relax and eat were better at Kamakura Station.
by jmarkley rate this post as useful

Thank you!! 2010/6/9 19:09
Thanks jmarkley: this is very helpful:
We do have great, well- broken in walking shoes, fortunately
Had hoped to attempt to go from Kita Kamakura, then eat at Kamakura, so this has reinforced proposed plans.
Looking forward to it; just hope its not wet!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread