Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Himeji 2010/6/15 10:47
I was thinking about flying into Osaka and traveling from there to kyoto, Hakone, and lastly Tokyo. But I was told by a friend that Himeji was better than Osaka. Other than the castle, what is there to do in Himeji and is bike rental available. Also how much time should I concentrate on each city (my trip is 7 days long). Thanks
by bclean  

well ... 2010/6/15 12:13
It depends what you like to do, As a tourist Himeji had a slower more relaxed feel than Kyoto, Osaka and definitely Tokyo but for me the day to explore the castle, grounds, enjoy a local mean and explore the shopping area was enough. My feeling was that basing in Kyoto or Osaka would give more choice in accommodation, meals and other activities plus have more choice as a transport hub.
by pacifictonz (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/6/15 12:19
I dont quite understand why your friend suggested that. In most case, it's advisable for foreign tourists to base themselves in Osaka, Kyoto or Kobe, as these cities are more fun & interesting especially during night.

Himeji attractions
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3500.html
by V (guest) rate this post as useful

Castle maybe 2010/6/15 15:10
Himeji Castle is certainly better than Osaka Castle but is currently under renovation until 2014
by fmj rate this post as useful

Hmm... 2010/6/15 16:09
To base yourself in Himeji is not the best idea, in my opinion.

If you want to do things in the West, Okayama is much better than Himeji: It gives you easy access to places in Shikoku and other places in the region (including Himeji).

If you enjoy biking, the Kibiji District is an excellent biking route in Japan and it is very convenient as the bike rentals are right outside the station.

Even if you do not stay in Okayama, if you want to bike, it will be better than Himeji. Also, since Himeji Castle is undergoing restoration, it may not even be worth it to go to Himeji.

If your trip is only 7 days though and your plan is to start in Osaka then go to Kyoto and Hakone on route to Tokyo, neither of these cities is really on the way. Seven days is not much time, either, so I think cutting Himeji would be better. For visiting Osaka and Kyoto, staying in Osaka or Kyoto is best. They are close.
by Rabbityama (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread