Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hiking in Northern and Southern Alps 2010/6/18 09:08
Hi, can anyone suggest a good website with some details about hikes in Northern and Southern Alps? I am looking for route information as well as times needed to reach summits. The Lonely Planet does not seem to offer much information and I'd rather not buy the Hiking Guide LP since I am only going to go to these areas for hiking.

I wanted to climb up and down Kita-dake in the Southern Alps in 2 days but I'm not sure if this is possible.

In the Northern Alps, I was wondering about starting in Kamikochi and going up Yariga-take but trying to make it to another city other than Kamikochi.

At any rate, if there is a good site, please forward it to me.
by jnam27  

hiking 2010/6/18 10:11
I wanted to climb up and down Kita-dake in the Southern Alps in 2 days but I'm not sure if this is possible.

Yes, there is a two day route from Hirogawara north of Kita-dake.

In the Northern Alps, I was wondering about starting in Kamikochi and going up Yariga-take but trying to make it to another city other than Kamikochi.

You can do this and where you end depends on how long of a trip you're planning. Note that its a 2 day hike one way from Kamikochi to Yari-ga-take.

Both of these hikes and their variations are described in detail in the Lonely Planet Hiking in Japan book and it would probably be worth picking up a copy.

This website also looks to have some good info covering the hikes you're planning:

http://japanhike.wordpress.com/
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread