Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Hokkaido JR pass 2010/7/26 08:36
Hi there

I will be using JR Hokkaido 4 days flexi pass. I read that I can only activated on the first day and book the the train tickets only on the first day . Will be travelling from Abashiri to Asahikawa, will there be vacancy on the actual day ? Kind of worried as I am used to using JR rail pass.

Just to clarify , the 4 days Flexi pass can be used in all JR trains running in Hokkaido right but NOT all JR buses ? And I can also make advance bookings for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th day of the trip once I decided the days ?
But for the first day I was unable to activate and reserve the tickets earlier. Am I right ?

I also read that using JR Hokkaido Flexi pass can give discounts to my car rental ?
What is the car rental name ? Is it JR car rental company and they are usually at the station itself ?

What is the use of filling up the reservation form in this link ?
http://www2.jrhokkaido.co.jp/global/english/railpass/4days_03.html

I am going to purchase it in Singapore , so I still have to fill up this form for the car reservation is it ?

Are the discounts comparable to the prices given by Tocoo ?

I also read that they have standard GPS system in their car. Do they have mapcode system , or where can I find out from them ?

thanks so much for reading !
by droozy (guest)  

... 2010/7/28 00:23
anyone can help ?
by droozy rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/29 10:52
Will be travelling from Abashiri to Asahikawa, will there be vacancy on the actual day ?

Yes, it is very likely that not all of the reserved seating will be booked out on all the trains of the day. Furthermore, note that the trains have unreserved seating, which can be used without prior reservation.

Just to clarify , the 4 days Flexi pass can be used in all JR trains running in Hokkaido right but NOT all JR buses ?

That's right. Also, a supplement is needed when using special compartments, such as berths on night trains.

And I can also make advance bookings for the 2nd, 3rd and 4th day of the trip once I decided the days ?

Yes.

But for the first day I was unable to activate and reserve the tickets earlier. Am I right ?

Yes.

I also read that using JR Hokkaido Flexi pass can give discounts to my car rental ?
What is the car rental name ? Is it JR car rental company and they are usually at the station itself ?

Yes. Ekiren is the name:
http://www.ekiren.co.jp/

What is the use of filling up the reservation form in this link ?

To make sure that a car of your choice is available on the day and time of your choice.

I am going to purchase it in Singapore , so I still have to fill up this form for the car reservation is it ?

Ask your agent in Singapore. He might be able to submit the reservation as well, if you prefer that way.

Are the discounts comparable to the prices given by Tocoo ?

Yes. Why don't you check yourself?
http://www.japan-guide.com/ad/coocom2.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Uji san 2010/7/29 11:29
Uji san..

Can you find out for me whether the Japanese GPS system in JR car company can key in mapcodes ?

Because last year I drove in Okinawa , I cant find mapcode in it and the staff knows anything about mapcode .

Thanks so much !

... 2010/7/29 19:16
Can you find out for me whether the Japanese GPS system in JR car company can key in mapcodes ?

I think it depends on the car navigation system used. And the system probably varies depending on the outlet and car type. So, sorry, the task is too complicated for me.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.... 2010/7/29 23:35
oh never mind.. thanks Uji san

JR car rental GPS 2010/7/30 14:44
Hi there, i'm just back from Hokkaido renting a Honda Fit from JR car rental. They have a japanese GPS system, and yes they do use mapcodes.

Which are much better than using phone numbers(some lead me to middle of the road). Mapcodes are very accurate. so be sure to collect the mapcodes before you go. :P
by lacanfei rate this post as useful

JR car rental GPS 2010/7/30 14:45
Oh Yeah, for me the JR car rental is at the JR railway station itself. At least it is, for Abashiri & Furano(where i got my car and return my car).

lacanfei.. 2010/7/30 19:14
Thanks.. would they give u a booklet of mapcodes ?

Do u have a copy with you that you can share with me ?

Thanks !

mapcode 2010/8/2 12:07
Hi Droo,

Yep they gave me a self drive guide(ask if they don't), with the mapcodes of major tourist attractions. Let me go back and search if i still have them. will post later if i still have.

But it's still safer to google each tourist attraction(especially not so popular ones) for the mapcodes before going there.

lacanfei 2010/8/2 16:19
thanks for helping me check whether u have their copy . William here also got help me find the mapcodes too..

btw do u still have the instructoions of how to operate their GPS ?

thanks so much for your reply !

Btw after reading yr post, I already booked them a total of 5 days as they are cheapest of all !

mapcode 2010/8/2 23:04
well i assume you know a little japanese.. A little search brings me to the website. http://www.visit-hokkaido.jp/ Check on the area you want, and click 観光. I checked and i only have the maps for BIEI left.. which i got from biei JR station, tourist info center (mapcode 389010626, 389011600)

For the jap GPS.. i can only vaguely remember. For a start, you have to click on settings(jap of coz :P) Memory location, add, click on mapcode. Enter mapcode.

After you save the location in memory, you can set as destination.

reply to this thread