Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sumanakuta? 2010/7/29 23:55
I once again stumbled one a new expression.

Sumanakuta (proably spelled wrong).
It got translated to I'm sorry, same as in Sumimasen deshita.

Did I misinterpret it or is this some kind keigo-sumimasen or a slang-sumimasen?

Thanks
by nihongo-beginner (guest)  

... 2010/7/30 09:07
Maybe it was "sumanakatta," which is "-ta" (past) form of "sumanai," which is the informal speech for "sumimasen." So it is the casual speech for "sumimasen deshita," saying "I'm sorry (for something that happened
by AK rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/7/30 19:55
thanks AK!

Can you tell me when it is used? Like only with Family or friends or could it be used at other places as well?

thanks again
by nihongo-beginner (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/7/31 00:03
I'd say the only situation when I can imagine that being said is by a man to his woman/girlfriend. When/if says it, he really means it sincerely.

So I'd say it's "casual/familiar" speech that you should not use outside your own family (provided you are a guy).
by AK rate this post as useful

sumanakatta 2010/8/2 14:51
Good coverage AK! You always beat me (not a race or anything)! =)

すまなかった comes from 済む meaning to "pass" or "allow" and in the case of "sumanakatta" and also "sumimasen", it means "not pass" or in actual use, "I'm sorry" or an even longer interpretation, "what I did, is not allowed"

Other forms include, "すまぬ" (sumanu), "すまん" (suman) but I often hear this spoken in poetry, music, samurai flicks or by old fashioned Japanese like Yakuzas, though people won't lynch you for using it in conversation (they might think its funny that you know it).
I use "すまん、すまん!" in joking with friends/classmates when I messed up on something (complete with my hand rubbing the back of my head -- I'm so turning Japanes-ah!LoL)
by jmarkley (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread