Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

1-day Higashiyama Walk itinerary doable? 2010/8/1 11:34
I'm devoting a full day to the sights around eastern Kyoto and I'm wondering if I'll be able to see all the places I've listed below. I'll be there during mid-August. Please let me know the best order to see these areas. If I need to skip some, please let me know which you would drop from the list. I'm also open to replacing sights with others. Since it's not Sprint, is it worth it to stop by Maruyama park and Yasaka Shrine? I'll be moving at a medium pace (maybe fast for some of them)

Sanjusangendo
Kiyomizudera (Pure Water Temple)
Kodaiji temple
Chionin temple
Heian Shrine
Shorenin temple
Nanzenji temple
Eikando temple
Ginkakuji

Thank you
by Smithers  

hmm 2010/8/2 11:51
any advice?
by Smithers rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/2 12:34

OK, I'm relatively familiar with eastern Kyoto, and I think I've been to all of those places. In 3 trips (4 in December this year) what I think is the "cant miss" places are the Ginkakuji [the temple itself isnt spectacular to me at least, but the grounds are lovely], the walk down philosopher's path that starts there and ends at Nanzenji, then Kiyomizudera and the walk from there past Kodaiji and on to Maruyama Park etc. I think allow pretty much a half day for each, I'd probably start early at Ginkakuji, then taxi from Nanzenji up to Kiyomizudera. I think you will have your fill of temples in that day, so you might decide to miss some of the temples on the walk from Kiyomizudera, especially in the heat, but there is plenty of other things to see and do (and eat). Having done the walk several times, I still havent gone into some of the temples/shrines. I actually didnt really like Sangusansendo (sp?). It was crowded inside, pretty dark, and the grounds are nothing flash, so if I was to miss anything, that would be top of my list. Ultimately once I saw a dozen temples I got pretty much templed out, and I now only go to the ones with the parks etc around them, or the festive atmosphere, like Kiyomizudera

by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

strewth! 2010/8/2 12:36
I really butchered "Sanjusangendo" didnt I? Sorry...

walks 2010/8/3 01:22
Thanks for the reply... So you're basically two separate walks with maybe 3-4 sights per walk (each walk taking a half day)? Just want to clarify.

Also, if anyone else has input, I'd love to hear it. Thanks

kind of... 2010/8/3 04:44
The philosopher's path walk is more a walk through a very pretty part of Kyoto, mainly along the canal. From memory,there are no shrines etc along the way, though there is plenty to see. My family do it each time we are in Kyoto, and we have ramen at a little restaurant along the way. It starts at Kinkakuji and ends at Nanzenji (which is massive). You could spend well over an hour at Nanzenji, go up into the big gate etc, so the whole "trip" would take an easy 3 hours, probably 4. The Kiyomizudera to Maruyama etc walk has a lot more shops and shrines etc along the way. Kiyomizudera itself if a big complex, with a few different structures to look at. You might be in there for an hour at least. For the walk afterward, you could do it in maybe 2 hours just looking at the historical sites, to all day if you really wanted to poke around and eat etc. I still havent gone into some places, there is one with a massive buddha (sp!) up a hill a bit, and we are always worn out by the time we get to it. You can get the walking maps from JNTO off the web, they show the points of interest. Both are really nice walks, very pretty with a bit of greenery, which you might be missing by then.

... 2010/8/3 09:58
You are forgetting about one very important thing: Mid-August weather.
Don't underestimate Japan summers,

The temperature right now is 33C (92F) and at mid day it will be over 35C (95F), but your body will feel like 40C (105F) standing in the sun.

10,000 people were hospitalized and over 60 people died from heat exhaustion last week alone.

No matter how fit you are, walking all those sights in one day is just not a good idea. Even if the heat and humidity doesn't get you, the UV rays, which are particularly harsh this summer, will nuke you from the inside out and you will feel like hell the next day.

You could visit Kiyomizu, Sanjusangendo (indoors, small), and Ginkakuji during the day, and then go to Heian Shrine, Yasaka Shrine, and Maruyama Park at night.

I would suggest finding some indoor attractions (with air-conditioning :-) to pass the time from midday through evening. There are many museums and galleries that you could visit.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

thanks 2010/8/3 13:17
Thanks Pious for the info. I want to take the philosopher's path, but I may have to skip it and catch a bus/taxi. I'm already planning my next trip to make up for everything I'm missing this time :)

Thanks Kyototrains for the warning and reminder that it is very hot this time of year. I will definitely keep an eye on everyone and make sure we take breaks indoors to rehydrate and stay cool.

10,000 people were hospitalized and 60 people died this past week alone? That's crazy!

numbers 2010/8/3 13:19
By the way, are those heat exhaustion and death numbers all from Kyoto or all of Japan? And do you have a link that talks about it... You have me super interested now. Thanks

... 2010/8/3 14:11
http://www.47news.jp/CN/201007/CN2010072601000774.html

It was actually for the week between July 19-25.

The link is a Japanese article. The stats are from the FDMA and are for all of Japan. After the rainy season, it's always hot but this year is exceptionally so.
Personally, sun on skin just feels different (in a bad way) than in past years.

by kyototrans rate this post as useful

no problem! 2010/8/3 16:21
I think that's sensible. I didnt know how hot it is this year, but we were there in September last year and it was still very hot - we got more sun than where we live, on the Gold Coast. If temples and shrines are what you want to see, the Kiyomizudera etc walk is the better one, and at least it is mainly down a gentle slope. Just make sure you taxi it up to Kiyo - it is very steep, and you have to walk the last bit anyway. Have fun!

reply to this thread