Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

View of Mount Fuji in Winter 2010/8/7 21:22
Hi there,

What would you recommend as the best place to stay in january to see a nice view of fuji, without too many tourists? I was thinking Kawaguchiko, but was told it is not the nicest place.

Also (if possible) the way to get to your chosen destination from Kyoto?

Thankyou.
by Taryn (guest)  

... 2010/8/8 16:50
I think the Fuji Five Lake area is generally the best place for close up, impressive views of Mount Fuji. To reduce crowds, you can go to some of the more remote lakes, such as Shojiko.

But there are many other places to enjoy views from. When visibility is good, Hakone and the western coast of the Izu Peninsula are nice places, too.
by Uji rate this post as useful

View of Mount Fuji in Winter 2010/8/8 19:01
Thanks Uji!

Obviously being winter it will be impossible to climb Mt Fuji, so is Kawaguchiko the closest possible place to visit near the mountain?

What would your preference be if I had to visit just one of these place if Mount Fuji wasn't a concern, Kawaguchiko, Hakone or the Izu Peninsula?

This will be my first visit to Japan.
by Taryn (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/10 15:46
I think that Hakone is the most interesting and access and navigation is easiest. But it is often very crowded on weekends and on holidays. On the other hand, it can be very calm on regular weekdays.

The Izu Peninsula is a little bit more difficult to get around, but it can also be very beautiful. Likewise, it is much less busy on weekdays than on weekends.

The Fuji Five Lake region is the best for views of Mount Fuji, but not as nice and interesting as Hakone and the Izu Peninsula, otherwise, in my opinion.

View of Mount Fuji In Winter 2010/8/13 20:56
Thank you Uji for your feedback, I am very grateful!

Do you know much about Takayama? Was thinking of staying there for three nights and using it as a central place to stay so I can visit Gujo-Hachiman, Shirakawa-go and a few neighbouring towns.

Is staying there a feasible option for some traditional culture?

Thanks again.

... 2010/8/15 18:01
Do you know much about Takayama?

My knowledge is summarized here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5900.html

Was thinking of staying there for three nights and using it as a central place to stay so I can visit Gujo-Hachiman, Shirakawa-go and a few neighbouring towns.

It is a good base for a day trip to Shirakawago. Buses to Gujo are less frequent and convenient, but it should be possible to go there in a daytrip.

As for other neighbouring towns, Furukawa, Gero and the Okuhida region are other feasible options.

Is staying there a feasible option for some traditional culture?

It depends on your expectations (what do you want to see/do specifically?). Takayama is is nice to see some traditional rural architecture, including a great outdoor museum and a preserved street of the old merchant town in the town center.

View of mount fuji in winter 2010/8/16 10:06
Hi Uji,

Thanks so much for your guidance, I greatly appreciate it.

Regards,

Taryn

reply to this thread