Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Trip to Arashimaya 2010/8/16 12:05
Hi everyone

My wife and I is planning a trip to Japan for 10 days in Kyoto.

We would like to stay 2 days in Arashimaya, if i do not have any JR pass, is there any train or bus go to Arashimaya. We would like to try the Sagano romantic train and the boat.

Can anyone recommend a accommodation in Arashimaya, we don't mind to pay a bit for the accommodation, i heard from my friend Arashimaya is a very nice place, so far most of my friend they only do a day trip from Kyoto.

We have no idea where to start from walking the area.

Kindly advice appreciated.

by Chris (guest)  

... 2010/8/16 12:32
I assume you mean Arashiyama.

if i do not have any JR pass, is there any train or bus go to Arashimaya.

It is described here:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

I recommend to avoid accessing the area by bus.

so far most of my friend they only do a day trip from Kyoto.

Arashiyama is inside Kyoto, a mere 20 minutes by train from Kyoto Station.

As for a ryokan, I recommend one near the river:
http://www.japanican.com/hotels/list.aspx?ar=26&sar=260403&ref=EXJ_FOR...

I personally stayed at the Rangetsu, but found it way overpriced for its over-sterile rooms and bath and average service.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Hi there 2010/8/16 12:38
Arashiyama is very nice, but you can reach it with a 20 minute or so taxi drive (or train ride) from pretty much any of the major hotels in Kyoto. Before I went I thought it was a major trip from Kyoto, but really it isnt, and the taxi ride is quite nice as well because you go through the part of town where they film things, so part of it is preserved. Essentially you get out of the cab at the bridge. On one side (the side closest to Kyoto) there are plenty of shops, restaurants etc, with a biggish temple compound then the walk through the bamboo groves up to Sagano (it is quite a big walk, up hills). You will walk past the station where the romantic train runs from. That walk etc could take 3 hours if you take it easy. On the other side of the bridge (i.e. the far side from Kyoto city) is a walk going along the river into the forest. We were too tired after the Sagano walk to follow it up the whole way, I think it leads to a temple, andt it is very pretty. I'd like to get back there to do the thing properly.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread