Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

3 day travel itinerary Kyoto area in Nov 2010/8/17 09:00
Hi!

I know, I know, another itenerary, but I would very much welcome any comments for my itinerary. It's a work in progress...

We will be staying at the Westin Miyako, and we will have 3 full days to explore the area. If we are being too ambitious, please let me know and any suggestions as to what to leave out would be great!

We're planning on getting the sightseeing card to hopefully make the getting around easier.

Day 1
Start early at Kiyomizudera
Sanjusangendo
Nanzenji
Philosophers Path - lunch here?
Ginkakuji
Handicraft Center to get in some souviner shopping
Gion - evening, dinner?

Day 2
Ryoanji
Kinkakuji
Kokedera - yes I know I need a reserveation, and I'm waiting to hear back. I realize I will have to plan my day around whatever time they give me.
Nishiki Market - lunch?
Nijo Castle
Pontocho Alley - dinner

Day 3
Another early start at Fushimi Inari
Nara: Kofukuji, Todaiji, Yoshikien Garden
Osaka: evening, dinner

Also, any recommendations for food is greatly appreciated. I normally plan our trips around eating...looking for more cheap, good food, although willing to splurge for a dinner or two...

Thanks in advance!
DS

by DSosa  

... 2010/8/17 09:57
Kokedera is time consuming (both in terms of access and the time spent there). As a result, day 2 would become a rather busy day.
by Uji rate this post as useful

another eater 2010/8/17 11:07
I tend to travel on my stomach as well. On Philosopher's Pth there is a lovely little restaurant that serves good cheap ramen. It is probably a few hundred metres along, on the left hand side of the canal (so over from the path itself) as you walk from Kinkakuji toward Nanzenji. There is also a great restaurant near Kiyomizudera, sort of up an alley on the left as you go down, with a pottery shop next to it. The pottery shop was in the movie "virgin snow" if you've seen it. Pontocho has heaps of restaurants, pretty much all restaurants, but my favorite night time food for good value is at the end of Shinmonzen street, Gion in a 3 story place that has Korean BBQ on the first floor, italian on the second, views accross the canal to Kyoto city. It is gorgeous and the food is great, and great value (particularly given Japanese standards for meat) with big servings. You wont go hungry, but be careful eating in hotel restaurants which tend to be far more expensive.
by Pious (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread