Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo Station to Okachimachi rush hour 2010/8/18 16:57
Hi,

we will arrive at Tokyo Station about 8 am and have continue to Okachimachi Station, which is close to our hotel. The Keihintohoku Line seems to be the best connection, but is it possible to take this train during the rush hour with luggage (just one suitcase each normal size)? Or better take the metro, but one transfer would be needed. Taxi would be the last option, the train will be much cheaper i suppose.

Greetings,
Michael
by Michael (guest)  

... 2010/8/19 08:59
The Keihintohoku Line seems to be the best connection

Or the parallelly running Yamanote Line.

but is it possible to take this train during the rush hour with luggage (just one suitcase each normal size)?

I am afraid that on regular weekdays, the particular section is probably extremely crowded around 8am. It can be uncomfortable even without luggage. The piece of luggage will be bothersome to yourself and the people around you.

How about having a coffee somewhere and doing the ride about an hour later when the situation is better?
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/19 09:39
And taxi wont be cheaper. and you'll be in car traffic too.

meter starts at 750 yen.

by train, tokyo to okachimachi is one stop, 5 minutes, and 130 yen.
by Reina Jess (guest) rate this post as useful

cut off message 2010/8/19 09:43
Just saying, no need to even consider taxi. haha.

Just have coffee like Uji suggested! :)

South to North may be fine 2010/8/19 09:56
From Okachimachi to Tokyo is super crowded - to the point that it's really hard to get your body in the train, let alone a piece of luggage. It's the most congested part of the whole Tokyo network. Mostly from people getting off the trains from Saitama and Ibaraki.

But I am not so sure it is as crowded going the other way. Going north should be OK. But please get confirmation from someone else.

by girltokyo rate this post as useful

making things too complicated 2010/8/19 10:34
Just wait on the platform until you see some less crowded train cars. it's only one stop.

Choose the first car or last car. middle cars will always be too stuffed.

Yamanote line is downtown area loop line, so best to avoid.

Keihan Tohoku would be better to take, since its going to saitama, and people are headed away from saitama for school/work, so going north wont be too crowded.

hmmm 2010/8/19 13:40
It's three stops - Tokyo, Kanda, Akiba, O'machi.

I honestly don't think you will have a problem going North, at that time of day.

(typically the front carriages are fuller on the northbound stretch as it is close to the stairs to change to the long distance Utsunomiya / Takasaki trains).
by girltokyo rate this post as useful

Thanks a lot 2010/8/19 16:53
Thank you all for your answers, very helpful. I have checked the exact arriving time, it is 8:26 (coming from Kyoto), so we will see how crowded the trains are, and better catch the last wagons or wait some time for a less crowded wagon.

Greetings,
Michael
by Michael (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/8/19 18:17
Thinking about it, girltokyo is probably right. In direction of Ueno the trains will probably just be crowded but not extremely crowded, and bringing in one suitcase would probably not pose a major problem.
by Uji rate this post as useful

reply to this thread