Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tips on navigating Tokyo/Kyoto? 2010/8/22 23:28
Hi everyone!

I'm going to Tokyo and Kyoto in a few months and while I am super-excited, I have one major concern: Navigating.

Since I speak only english, I was worried about how to simply walk around without getting lost. Are most street signs, airport signs, and rail signs in only Kanji? Or also in Romanji? For example, I worry if everything is in Kanji, I'll have a hard time keeping track of which streets I am on while navigating a map. Or even more simply, how to find the right track at a train station or the right carousel to get my luggage from at the airport.

Anyone have any tips on how an English-speaker can survive navigating big Japan cities?

Thanks!
by Patrick (guest)  

easy 2010/8/23 06:15
Stress less: all signs in the major areas in Tokyo and Kyoto are in English.
Train stations are very easy to navigate: just make sure you allow plenty of time, as Tokyo station is HUGE.
Announcements on trains, and buses in Kyoto, are in English, and the subways in both cities have English maps/announcements.
There are even English ticket machines, and also dedicated English ATM's in Post Offices.
Tokyo and Kyoto are easy to get around: make sure you have a good map; Lonely planet books even tell you how to get to places: which bus/subway stops etc
Research and have fun!!
by fmj rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2010/8/23 06:42
Thank you for the quick and informative answer! Knowing the major parts of the cities are so english friendly eases my mind!
by plarser rate this post as useful

Donft be afraid of getting lost. Butc 2010/8/23 21:59
There are a lot of English signs at railway stations and airports. But I donft see many English signs on the street in Tokyo.

If you get lost, why donft you just ask someone on the street?

But if I am the gsomeoneh asked by you, I hope you speak plain English very slowly.
If you speak English very fast, and especially in case you are very big and tall guy, I may feel like running away.
As a typical Japanese, I am not used to hearing and speaking English even after studying 10 years at school.
Starting with gSUIMASENh(=excuse me) may be welcomed.
by Tokio (guest) rate this post as useful

reply to this thread