Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Arashiyama 2010/9/13 23:36
Can Arashiyama be done in a half-day trip? From 12pm in the afternoon to about 5-6ish in the evening?

Also, is it also possible to visit it in mid Jan as I understand that the love train is not available. But can it be visited on foot?
by samsherlyn  

... 2010/9/14 05:13
Can Arashiyama be done in a half-day trip?

From where? Osaka? Tokyo? Or will you already be in Kyoto? Depending on how much you want to see in Arashiyama, you can spend there 1-2 hours or you could stay there an entire day or even longer. But even a 1-2 hour visit can be pleasant.

Also, is it also possible to visit it in mid Jan as I understand that the love train is not available. But can it be visited on foot?

The train is just one of dozens of attractions. Almost all of the other attractions can be seen. And of course it is possible to walk around on foot. Why should it not be possible? Because of snow? Arashiyama doesn't gets a lot of snow. After a rare heavy snow fall, the streets might be slippery and access to the monkey park difficult or impossible.
by Uji rate this post as useful

.. 2010/9/14 11:05
I'll be coming from Nara. As I would need to switch a train in Kyoto Station, was just thinking of dropping by to visit Arashiyama.

Thanks for the advice. I was intending to visit the bamboo forest, the bridge and surrounding areas.
by samsherlyn (guest) rate this post as useful

instead of using the train 2010/9/14 11:36
@uji when they say can it be visited on foot I think they mean instead of using the train (to get there not can they walk around in arashiyama)
The question is a bit vague though.
any clarification?
by gilesdesign (guest) rate this post as useful

..... 2010/9/14 11:36
We did a half day in April and really enjoyed it. We had the morning at Fushimi Inari and then took the train to Arashiyama. We had lunch there and wandered around the streets, through the bamboo forests and had a thorough visit of Tenryu-ji and its garden which were beautiful in the spring blossom. I would have liked longer to give time for the monkey's too but I'm pleased we did have that half day.
by pacifictonz (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/14 12:18
I went to Arashiyama back in early April during the cherry blossom season. Since it was also a weekend, I didn't get a chance to ride the train there. However, I was glad that I got walk around as it's such a nice place. Even with 1/2 day, you can cover many places by foot! :)

You may want to visit the Okochi Sanso Villa (near the bamboo groves behind Tenryu-ji), as it has beautiful gardens and great views over the city and river. There is also a small sitting area within the villa where you can enjoy a cup of green tea and traditional japanese snack (note: there is an admission fee, I think it was 1000 yen).
by Edith (guest) rate this post as useful

TQ 2010/9/14 13:02
Thanks for all the suggestions! I shall take a half day trip there after my morning at Nara.
by samsherlyn rate this post as useful

arashiyama 2010/9/14 13:03
I did a half day in Arashiyama during the summer. From the train station there, I walked to the main street with all the restaurants (ate at one of them). Then I walked across the famous bridge and went up into the hills to the monkey park. I also stopped by the bamboo groves, but had to cut it short because of rain. I guess it all depends on what you want to do there, but 6 hours seems sufficient to me. What do you plan to do with the first half of the day?
by Smithers rate this post as useful

.. 2010/9/14 17:00
I would be in Nara to see the Todaji Temple and Deer Park. Would be travelling in from Hamamatsucho which will take 4 hours so I will be leaving Hamamatsucho at 6am in the morning, would reach Nara by 10am and leave Nara by 12pm for Arashiyama (Will only reach at 1pm).

also visit Okochi Sanso Villa 2010/9/15 03:58
Don't forget to visit the Okochi Sanso villa near the bamboo forest when you are at Arashiyama, it is one of the finest examples of a traditional house with a splendid garden in Kyoto ! See my website for photos taken november 2009:

http://www.traveltojapan.eu/Kyoto_Okochi-Sanso_villa.html

Regards, Ton
by traveltojapan eu rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/15 12:33
I have decided to dedicate one whole day to Arashiyama. Any suggestions how I could plan my time. I will be in Kyoto latest by 11am and would only leave for dinner at Kyoto Station at 6pm before catching a train back to Tokyo at 7pm odd. Or is too long time allocated for Arashimaya? Should I do a Fushimi Inari in the morning from 11am to about 2pm and procced to Arashiyama and spend time till 6pm?

If the above plan is ok, I would take out Fushimi Inari from below and perhaps put in another attraction.

I would already also have spent a whole day in Kyoto viewing these few attractions: Fushimi Inari - Kiyomizudera - Kinkakuji - Nijo Castle.

Spend a whole day in Arashiyama 2010/9/15 17:55
To spend a whole day in Arashiyama is a smart decision.

I also spend a whole day there and did not regret it, i took the bus from Kyoto train station to Arashiyama, and first walked across the bridge to the other side of the river, there you have a very nice trail upstream. See: http://www.traveltojapan.eu/Kyoto.html

There is also a monkey park which i have not visited (if you google you can find information about this is you are interested).

After that i walked back and walked on the other side upstream and climbed the mountain from where you have an excellent view of the river and valley; then again downhill to visit temples, the bamboo forest and my highlight: the Okochi-Sanso villa; keep the receipt which you get at the entrance with you, at the end of you walking tour in the gardens you can exchange it for a nice cup of Japanese tea with a sweet.

I walked the whole area, which is very nice to do and can easily be done on one day, but i also found this website, it has a map of the area :
http://www.cyclekyoto.com/arashiyama-to-adashino-nenbutsu-temple

... 2010/9/15 23:55
Sounds great! Arashimaya looks really beautiful, be a good day to relax and chill, just hope it wouldnt get too cold since im only going in mid jan.

What about hozu river boat? 2010/9/16 09:35
I'm also planning a whole day trip to arashiyama during the fall. I notice the highlight of the Honzu river boat ride combine with the romantic train ride. But no one seems to mention it here, is it over-rated? The boat ride is quite expensive thou
by ,, (guest) rate this post as useful

.. 2010/9/16 11:24
Well I wish I could but im in Japan mid of jan specially for the tokyo autosalon, and to tour for another 10 days..

What about hozu river boat? 2010/9/17 06:09
I have seen the Hozu river boat, a lot of Japanese families took the boat trip and they seemed to enjoy it.

I did not know it was there and by walking you can also see al nice part of the river for free.

To me the boat trip seemed a very touristy trip, with every boatman making the same ride, the same jokes, etc. , so it is not to my liking.

From Arashiyama you can also hire a private small rowing boat to peddle a small part of the river if you want to get upriver. I did not ask for their prices.

reply to this thread