Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Asakusa to Hakone for overnight stay 2010/9/15 13:31
How do we get from Asakusa to Hakone? Can we catch the shinkansen from Tokyo to Hakone or Odawara? Which station is best to get off and why? Can we buy a Hakone free pass at Odawara? OR is it best to buy Hakone free pass & pay extra for romance car? We are limited for time so looking at faster options to get there and back to cut down on travel time. I cant work out Hyperdia.com thats too confusing for me.
Thank you kindly.
by quicktrip  

Rail pass? 2010/9/15 14:46
Do you have a JR rail pass? It makes a difference.
by Sarah (guest) rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/16 15:20
Assuming you don't have a Japan Rail Pass.

How do we get from Asakusa to Hakone?

Your options are explained on the following page:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5206.html

Can we catch the shinkansen from Tokyo to Hakone or Odawara?

To Odawara.

Which station is best to get off and why?

Depend where you are heading. Usually, it is best to take the train as far as Hakone-Yumoto and then continue by bus or train depending on your next destination.

Can we buy a Hakone free pass at Odawara?

Yes.

OR is it best to buy Hakone free pass & pay extra for romance car?

If you do not mind paying a little bit more for a little bit more comfort, then you might want to go for the romance car. Otherwise, a regular express is good enough.
by Uji rate this post as useful

a few more questions pls .... 2010/9/17 13:42
Thank you very much for your time and advice. On the link the romance car is Y2020; is it Y5000 on top of that for the Hakone Free pass? I'm a bit confused I thought the Y5000 was for the Hakone free pass round trip incl. local train from Shinjuku and you just paid a bit extra if you wanted to go using the romance car? If we were to overnight in Hakone can you recommend where would be the location to stay?

We dont have JR pass as we will only be there for 4 full days, so I thought it was better to get metro day pass on the days we use the subway.

Thank you in advance.

by quicktrip rate this post as useful

... 2010/9/18 08:14
On the link the romance car is Y2020; is it Y5000 on top of that for the Hakone Free pass?

No, you just have to pay the Romance Car supplement of 870 yen (one way) on top of that.

If we were to overnight in Hakone can you recommend where would be the location to stay?

Anywhere would be good. But if you do a loop through Hakone over two days, then a location near Yumoto would not be very convenient.

We dont have JR pass as we will only be there for 4 full days, so I thought it was better to get metro day pass on the days we use the subway.

I would rather use a Suica prepaid card. The metro day pass is only valid on a limited number of useful train lines in Tokyo.

.. 2010/9/18 14:14
Hi Uji, thank you so much for your continued advice :) I had a look at the Suica card (5500yen or (8000yen) is it best to get the green car option? The round trip version which inclds. nrt-tky-nrt & 2000 yen worth of train fares - exclnt value. Do you think it wld include the return trip to Hakone?if not we wld buy Hakone Free pass + top up for romance car.
We would really love to go on the shinkansen; could we fit this into our itinerary somewhere? Thanks for your expert knowledge.

... 2010/9/18 17:22
is it best to get the green car option?

No. Unless you like to travel in luxury.

The round trip version which inclds. nrt-tky-nrt & 2000 yen worth of train fares - exclnt value. Do you think it wld include the return trip to Hakone?

The Suica card can be used on trains to Hakone, but unlike the free pass, it does not provide any discounts.

We would really love to go on the shinkansen; could we fit this into our itinerary somewhere?

You could take the shinkansen between Tokyo and Odawara on your way to Hakone or on the return journey back to Tokyo.

Thanks Uji 2010/9/19 21:06
We definitely dont need to travel luxury so we will not be needing green car. Wonderful idea to catch the Shinkansen, I am looking into all your great suggestions. Thanks heaps.

reply to this thread