Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Kyoto, Miajima, Takayama, Nikko trip 2010/9/25 13:27
Hi I am planning to travel to Kansai airport then travel to Kyoto then to Miajima then Takayama then Nikko, then Kamakura and then back to Kyoto and fly from Kansai air port back home.

I plan to stay in Kyoto for 7 daya, Miajima for 2 days, Takayama for 9 days, Nikko for 2 days, Kamakura for 2 days and Kyoto again for 3 days then return to Kansai airport and home, so a total of 25-26 days in Japan.

I recently returned from 18 days in Japan where I visted Nikko, Takayama and Kamakura.

Does any one have any suggestion of the best way to travel to these places.

I know the best way to travel from Takayama to Nikko is the Nohi bus to Matsumoto and then Train to Nikko from Matusmoto, but from Kyoto to Miajima is train and boat better than bus ? and is it better to return to Kyoto to then travel to Takayama or can a bus from Miajima to Takayama be possible ( I know Miajima is a small island so maybe it would be better to return to Kyoto and then a train to Takayama)

I will use bus and train to travel from Takayama to Nikko.

From Nikko to Kamakura is a train the best way to Shinjuku and ten train from Shinjuku to Kamakura aI have done befire and it is not difficult.

Travelling from Kamakura to Kyoto, is this possible by bus ? Maybe overnight bus ? I know I could return to Shinjuku and then maybe get train or shinkansen train, but I am trying to control my transport costs and I do not have a JR rail pass and I am happy to make the journeies on local trains is I need to.

Bus, local train is all OK for me. I can take shinkansen if I have to but I am trying not to make too much Shinkansen trvel because of cost of ticket.

Can anyone help me with my journey pland and does anyone have advice fot the best way to travel my route....

Kyoto, Miajima, Takayama, Nikko, Kamakura, Kyoto.

I am quite flexible in my plans, I just thought this route was a natural flow to the journey.

Any advice is very appreciated.

P.S. I came back from Japan just 4 days ago so travelling on trains, bus, cycle, walking etc is all no problem and I am not daunted by travelling alone in Japan because that is what I have done for the last 18 days, and loved it.l

Regards...
by kodamadesune  

... 2010/9/25 15:40
Takayama for 9 days

9 days??!! That is a long time for Takayama. I guess you are planning on making lots of side trips. Or do you have family/friends there?

Does any one have any suggestion of the best way to travel to these places.

They are introduced on the access pages of each destination in the following sightseeing guide:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e623a.html

I know the best way to travel from Takayama to Nikko is the Nohi bus to Matsumoto and then Train to Nikko from Matusmoto

If you have a Japan Rail Pass, travel via Nagoya and Tokyo is about equally fast and completely covered.

but from Kyoto to Miajima is train and boat better than bus ?

There is no boat from Kyoto to Miyajima. Travel via Hiroshima is recommended:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3404.html?aFROM=2158_2160

and is it better to return to Kyoto to then travel to Takayama or can a bus from Miajima to Takayama be possible

I recommend to travel by train via Hiroshima and Nagoya. But if you want to save money, you could also consider traveling by bus.

From Nikko to Kamakura is a train the best way to Shinjuku and ten train from Shinjuku to Kamakura aI have done befire and it is not difficult.

Instead of travel via Shinjuku, you could also travel via Tokyo Station. It depends on your preferences regarding cost, speed and comfort.

Travelling from Kamakura to Kyoto, is this possible by bus ? Maybe overnight bus ?

Yes, but you would have to backtrack to Yokohama or Tokyo.

I know I could return to Shinjuku and then maybe get train or shinkansen train, but I am trying to control my transport costs

Then, I it might be worth looking into the Japan Bus Pass:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2369.html

For example:
Kyoto - (night bus) - Hiroshima - (local train and ferry) - Miyajima - (local train and ferry) - Hiroshima - (night bus) - Nagoya - (train or bus) - Takayama - (train or bus) - Toyama - (night bus) - Tokyo - (Tobu free pass) - Nikko - (Tobu free pass) Tokyo - (local train) - Kamakura - (local train) - Tokyo - (night bus) - Kyoto
by Uji rate this post as useful

Thanks Uji I have friends in Takayama 2010/9/25 17:28
Thanks Uji San,

Yes I made friends in Takayama when I visited there last month so I am going to visit them there and maybe stay at there home when in Takayama.

I also have new friends in Kyoto who I plan to visit and also see menay temples and shirines there and in Nara and around area

I am flexible, 9 days may be 7 days because I can be flexible in my Time in Takayama.

I will make side trips during the day either on cycle, motor bike or bus.

I really enjoyed Takayama night time in Izakaya and daytime in walking so I will be able to visit many places in Takayama area That I enjoy.

I do not think I will get a JR Rail pass because I do not have fixed plan, so maybe I will not use trains a lot I may use buss more, but I need to look at all my long train journies ie Kamakura to kyoto and see if JR pass is good value.

I also need to look at bus pass too because that may be good value if I use many busses. Thank you for bus pass information and link.

I think Bus pass would be good to have and maybe not JR rail pass, but I need to check prices and see if I should buy bus or JR pass.

I will travel via Hiroshima to Miajima and then from Miajima to Hiroshima, as you said there is no boat from Kyoto.

I may use bus from Hiroshima to Nagoya and then bus from Nagoya to Takayama.

I need to to look at all my journies and see what pass is best JR rail pass or Buss pass and then I can decide which way I can travel most, bus or train.

Ah.... Instead of travel via Shinjuku, I could also travel via Tokyo Station, this maybe less busy than Shinjuku and easier for me..... Thanks for this advice.

Travelling from Kamakura to Tokyo and then maybe a night bus to Kyoto may be a good idea do you think Uji ?

I did think about hiring a car to drive from Kamakura to Kyoto, but this may be too long drive and cost a lot of money compared to bus or train....

Thank you very very much for the information below it is very helpful.

ほんとにありがとう(v^-゜)

For example:
Kyoto - (night bus) - Hiroshima - (local train and ferry) - Miyajima - (local train and ferry) - Hiroshima - (night bus) - Nagoya - (train or bus) - Takayama - (train or bus) - Toyama - (night bus) - Tokyo - (Tobu free pass) - Nikko - (Tobu free pass) Tokyo - (local train) - Kamakura - (local train) - Tokyo - (night bus) - Kyoto

by kodamadesune rate this post as useful

reply to this thread