Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Type of rental car for Tokyo to Nikko 2010/10/1 03:40
I wonder which type of car should I rent to drive from Tokyo to Nikko and Tokyo to Hakone. Does compact car fit well with the place or should it be 4WD?
by Chrinthip  

. 2010/10/1 12:34
Can't see any reason for 4WD. Driving and parking in Tokyo is a pain and normally one takes a train. Suggest you use Tocoo.com if you must drive and pick it up at a location at a railway station on arrival, often they are next door.
Normally a car is rented where there are out of the way places to see and difficulties reaching them.
by Connie Chiwa (guest) rate this post as useful

nikko, hakone by car 2010/10/1 13:23
When are you travelling? Like the previous poster mentioned, it is probably easier to take the train if you will just be visiting Nikko's shrines and temples. However if you will be heading up into Okunikko National Park area then it may be more convenient to rent a car. If you are travelling there in winter there will be a possibility of snow, in which case snow tires are necessary, and 4wd would be optional, but not necessary.

Hakone, on the otherhand, is very easy to get around only by public transportation. Look into getting the Hakone Free Pass.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

Thanks ^_^ 2010/10/1 19:07
Thanks guys. I've planned to go around end of Oct. We will go to Gotemba outlet then Hakone and stay 1 night. Next day plan to go to Kamakura and Yokohama for Ramen museum then heading back to Tokyo. That's why we r thinking about rent a car. For Nikko will take your point and go by public transportation. Thanks again.
by Chrinthip rate this post as useful

reply to this thread